Website for historical horse photos

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Website for historical horse photos

Postby Barcaldine » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:14 pm

http://ranchosanantonio.com/pic_database/

Thanks to my good friend Dr. Angel Contreras of the Dominican Republic for creating and maintaining this unique website.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:46 am

That is a great website!

jagger
Grade III Winner

PICS

Postby jagger » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:14 am

Can't help but notice how much smaller/finer the older thoroughbreds were. Not all but many/most. More Greyhound in appearance. A time when they could run farther and much more often and with much less injury. 8) What happened? :evil:

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:08 am

Native Dancer happened.
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:12 am

Take a look at the great PLAUDIT. Does he look like he's ready for slaughter or what? Without him, no HOLY BULL, etc.

jagger
Grade III Winner

Postby jagger » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:20 am

No Pics of Ten Broeck? :shock: :?: :!: :evil:

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: PICS

Postby Joltman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:30 pm

jagger wrote:Can't help but notice how much smaller/finer the older thoroughbreds were. Not all but many/most. More Greyhound in appearance. A time when they could run farther and much more often and with much less injury. 8) What happened? :evil:

What happened? Man O War, Secretariat. It's the 'look'. Big and powerful seems to say athlete. Almost no one believes any more that the older, lighter type is of value and they don't sell, so they get limited opportunity. Yet Northern Dancer was small. I like the little guys.

my opinion

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:50 am

It's just like the obsession with AQHA ... bigger, more muscular is better, even if it means breeding horses with a genetic mutation that is likely to kill them.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:52 am

Tappiano wrote:It's just like the obsession with AQHA ... bigger, more muscular is better, even if it means breeding horses with a genetic mutation that is likely to kill them.

That's an obsession only among breeders of QHs that don't have to, and often can't, do anything other than stand under halter. Stupid decision and not the only one of those that has, or will, come back to bite the AQHA.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:08 am

As an adjunct to this thread, I recently came across YouTube versions of the original CBS Belmont telecast of Secretariat with some of the lead up (several sections of video actually). You may also find the Ky Derby Secretariat telecast there. One thing I noted on the Derby race was that on the gallop out, Sham actually ran past Secretariat rather quickly. That may have led some observers to believe he had more in the tank which we know was not the case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVYhjOHGCso

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.