Northern Dancer and female families

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Northern Dancer and female families

Postby vineyridge » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:44 pm

I've just re-read "Kingmaker" and one of the appendixes is a list of Northern Dancer's stakes winners with their female families. One very odd thing is that he did not do well at all with The Alexander Mare of 1790's branches. There is one 1966 mare from 2-n, Cool Mood, and 1967 Zingari, also 2-n, but nothing from the daughter branches, 2-o, 2-p, 2-r, and 2-s. And nothing after 1967.

Both Teddy and Gainsborough were 2-o, and Secretariat was 2-s, so these are not dud lines in the history of the TB.

I don't know what this means, if anything, but it's interesting. <grin>

ND did extremely well with Simon's Shoes and also with 2-f. Since he did so well with 2-f, you'd also think he'd have done well with The Alexander mare branches. For some odd reason, even though he was supposed to be almost 20% Herod (way back), I have a feeling that is not backed by statistics that he and his do not do well with a close up Herod sire line--except for Goofed.

All of this may just be vaporous theorizing.
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Vineyridge writes: "There is one 1966 mare from 2-n, Cool Mood, and 1967 Zingari, also 2-n, but nothing from the daughter branches, 2-o, 2-p, 2-r, and 2-s."

Maybe that's a reflection of opportunity? The database here lists only 13 offspring from those 5 branches: 4 from 2-n, 4 from 2-o, none from 2-p and 2-r and 5 from 2-s. One of the latter is Somethingfabulous, Secretariat's G1-placed half, and the other is G2-placed Marsha's Dancer.

2 SWs and 2 SP from 13 foals.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V