Mirror Image 2

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

touching
Yearling

Mirror Image 2

Postby touching » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:29 am

Hello hope you enjoyed my first post, now in my next several posts I shall concentrate solely on racing greyhound pedigrees as I want to keep something up my sleeve to possibly some money in the future.
Remember as both thoroughbred and racing greyhound evolutions both evolved the same system or mechanism everything that I be explaining about racing greyhound breeding can also be explained about racehorse breeding, although on several occasions’ thoroughbred evolution implemented the same evolutionary manoeuvres in a slightly different fashion.
No doubt probably all of the racing greyhound names that I will be using in my explanations will be totally unfamiliar to the reader so I shall ask you to concentrate at this stage purely on the cyclical patterns that I shall be highlighting not their names, o k here goes.
Now this present day dominance of the Pilot (born 1820) sire line can be obviously seen most clearly in the parental sire lines of racing greyhounds but this present day dominance was not always the case.
I next recorded a list of all the racing greyhound sires that were born during 1850 at the latest and who had produced 20 offspring or more that had made it into the brilliant greyhound pedigree website called Greyhound Data.
There were 59 of them, I then looked at the first name recorded in the Greyhound Stud Book on the parental sire lines of those 59 racing greyhound sires, well the first name recorded in the General Stud Book on the parental sire lines of 15 of those 57 sires that were born during 1850 at the latest and who had produced 20 offspring or more that were then listed in the Greyhound Data website was that of Pilot (born 1820).
I shall give a list below of the greyhounds whose names were recorded first in the Greyhound Stud Book and who were the parental sire line ancestors of the sires that were listed in the Greyhound Data website having been born during 1850 at the latest and who also had also produced 20 offspring or more

1…..PILOT (born 1820) 15 SIRES 26%
2…. PILOT (born 1800) 13 SIRES 23%
3….GRACCHUS (born 1816) 8 SIRES 14%
4….ROMAN (born 181+) 5 SIRES 9%
5….DANDY (born 182+) 4 SIRES 7%
5….CTRUS (born 177+) 4 SIRES 7%
7…VELOX (born 183+) 2 SIRES 4%
7….PINNEGAR’S FAWN DIG (born 181+) 1 SIRE 2%
9….SWAN (born 182+) 1 SIRE 1.7%
9….DIVER (born 179+) 1 SIRE 1.7%
9….CLARET (born 177+) 1 SIRE 1.7%
9….OSCAR (born 180+) 1 SIRE 1.7%
9….NEPTUNE (born 183+) 1 SIRE 1.7%

As the Pilot (born 1820) sire line recorded 25% of the total it had still a long way to go before it reached its present day dominance, I do not know the state of play in 1882 when the Greyhound Stud Book was first published or the way the names of the events that attracted the best runners of the day evolved but greyhound racing had three different ways in which greyhounds competed with each other, English Coursing, Irish Park Coursing and Track Racing, English Coursing became illegal from about 2005, leaving two branches of the sport left Irish Park Coursing and Track Racing.
So events evolved as time passed suppose the first big step in racing greyhound breeding was the arrival of a year when the name of Pilot (born 1820) was to be found on the parental sire lines of over 50% of the most successful racing greyhound sires in the British Isle.
Now the Pilot (born 1820) sire line expanded in bottleneck fashion sire line and a greyhound called Contango who was born during 1870 was the first bottleneck sire.
Eventually a year would be reached when over 50% of the most successful racing greyhound sires in the British Isle would have the name of Contango on their parental sire lines and this would take place at the expense of all other branches of the Pilot (born 1820) sire line, subsequently as time elapsed Contango’s percentage would increase.

Then a year would be reached when over 50% of the most successful racing greyhound sires in the British Isle would have the name of Staff Officer on their parental sire lines and this would take place at the expense of all other branches of the Contango sire line, subsequently as time elapsed Staff Officer’s percentage would increase.
Ever year a magazine is published called the Greyhound Review and it compiles a Table of the sires who have produced feature event winners in the North and South of Ireland over a certain value, I have compiled my own Leading Sire Tables for the greyhounds in Ireland North and South since 1978 this is also a Table of the sires that have produced feature events winners over a certain value for the year in question.
Now for the year 1974 I did not have the data that I required to compile my Leading Sire Table for the North and South of Ireland but I was able to compile a Table from a list of 23 feature events run in the North and South of Ireland and 42 feature events run in the rest of the British Isle.
Well 39 of those 65 feature event winners had the name of Hi There who was born during August 1952 on their parental sire lines and 39 equals 60% of the total, while 14 of those 65 feature event winners had the name of Champion Prince who was born during July 1949 on their parental sire lines and 14 equals 22% of the total, the remaining 12 feature event winners had neither the names of Hi There or Champion Prince on their parental sire lines and 12 equals 18% of the total
If people at that time were told that either Hi There or Champion Prince would become the 3rd bottleneck racing greyhound sire and were then asked to choose which greyhound they thought that sire would be I am sure most people would pick Hi There.
Suppose they would no doubt think that Hi There could already be considered the 3rd bottleneck sire but as you will see Champion Prince turned out to be that sire.
So the Champion Prince sire line flourished at the expense of all other branches of the Staff Officer sire line, subsequently as time elapsed Champion Prince’s percentage would increase, now I claim that this scenario will not effect the status quo of either industry things will continue as normal.
So let’s have a look at the parental sire line of Champion Prince stretching back to Pilot (born 1820).
1…..CHAMPION PRINCE (born July 1949)
2…..BELLAS PRINCE (born August1941)
3…..CASTLEDOWN LAD (born August 1934)
4…..MEADOW FESCUE (born March1928)
5…..MELKSHAM TOM (born 1922)
6......STAFF OFFICER (born 1914)
7…..FRIENDLY FOE (born 1905)
8…..FRANDON FERRY (born 1899)
9…..FIERY FURNACE (born 1895)
10….SIR SANKEY (born 1889)
11….GREENTICK (born 1882)
12….BEDFELLOW (born 1874)
13….CONTANGO (born 1870)
14…CASHIER (born 1866)
15…CARDINAL YORK (born June 1857)
16…JACOBITE (born 1854)
17…BEDLAMITE (born January1850)
18…FIGARO (born 1844)
19…KING COB (born 1838)
20…ION (born 1834)
21…STUMPS (born 1828)
22…PILOT (born 1820)

So there we have the parental sire line ancestors of Champion Prince stretching back to Pilot (born 1820) who was the first name recorded in the Greyhound Stud Book on Champion Prince’s parental sire line, 22 greyhound sires make up Champion Prince’s parental sire line and we know for sure that the greyhound sires Contango, Staff Officer and Champion Prince are bottleneck sires so that makes three bottleneck sires in total that occupy that list of 22 racing greyhound sires