The Science of Pedigree Analysis

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

brogers
Allowance Winner

The Science of Pedigree Analysis

Postby brogers » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:52 am

I had the opportunity to write a short article in BlueBloods on the science that is behind pedigree analysis. Thought it would be worth reposting a copy of it here - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T1hz3JuRAVnzVJqh86nHgyWeAwZNtlRT
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

MaresRest
Suckling

Re: The Science of Pedigree Analysis

Postby MaresRest » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:06 pm

You're using fighting words for those who use Lowe family numbers as part of research/analysis/breeding decisions!

Good stuff as always, Byron. Is there a publicly available resource for determining Y-chromosome and mtDNA haplotypes across the population (e.g., for stallions and mares since WWII or some other semi-modern cutoff point)? Or is this information available in a reasonably priced genetic testing report if horse owners wished to obtain the data on their breeding and racing stock?
-----
Mares' Rest is a retirement facility for Thoroughbred broodmares. We're currently seeking 501(c)(3) certification.
This Pedigree Online account is monitored by Scot Gillies.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:45 pm

MaresRest wrote:...Is there a publicly available resource for determining Y-chromosome and mtDNA haplotypes across the population ...

Lowe family #/mtDNA type cross-reference

MaresRest
Suckling

Postby MaresRest » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Thanks, Pan Zareta!

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:49 pm

I was under the impression that the "anomaly" of King Fergus was due to a mutation in the Y chromosome that occurred between Pot8os and Whalebone, not an error in the sire line. Unless I'm misremembering, DNA testing was done on Eclipse that showed him to carry the same Y as King Fergus.
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 pm

vineyridge wrote:I was under the impression that the "anomaly" of King Fergus was due to a mutation in the Y chromosome that occurred between Pot8os and Whalebone, not an error in the sire line. Unless I'm misremembering, DNA testing was done on Eclipse that showed him to carry the same Y as King Fergus.

The expected yDNA type for sire line descendants of King Fergus is the Darley type, without the mutation characteristic of sire line descendants of Whalebone. A different yDNA type, the one expected for sire line descendants of the Byerley, is found in modern sire line descendants of St. Simon's sons Persimmon & St. Frusquin (the only descendants of KF tested as of 2017), representing a probable error in the record at or after KF and at or before SS. See Figs. S3 & S4 in Wallner et al. 2017, https://tinyurl.com/y3j3lvf5.

As far as I know, the remains of Eclipse have never been yDNA typed though they were mtDNA typed and screened for a couple of polymorphisms in the recombinant nuclear genome @10 years ago.

touching
Yearling

Postby touching » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:53 am

If VINNEYRIDGE reads this I for one was impressed by his reply.