Mr. Greeley as a Broodmare Sire?

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

madelyn

Mr. Greeley as a Broodmare Sire?

Postby madelyn » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:06 am

Does anyone know how I could get statistics on Mr. Greeley as a Broodmare Sire? It seems he crops up a lot in pedigrees of winners but I can't find anything on him really.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Mr. Greeley as a Broodmare Sire?

Postby Joltman » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:53 am

There are a couple ways I use to get a little info on the sires. Obviously the best way is to run a full report from Equineline or Brisnet.

1. http://www.brisnet.com/php/BSReview.php# There are BM sire reports - but these are by year. Rather have additional detail by region and all. But if you're into the earnings indexes, you might spot an up and coming one, who is outperforming early.

2. Use the Equibase 5x pedigree. Put Mr. G as stallion with one of his mares (say Acona) which will give both sire stats and BM sire stats (of course one would never really do this):

SIRE of : Mr. Greeley
TOTALS FOR foals* starters (%) winners (%) BW (%) earnings (%) ael
Mr. Greeley 1466 1181 ( 81) 815 ( 56) 64 ( 4) $71,371,793 1.30

BROODMARE SIRE of : Mr. Greeley
TOTALS FOR mares foals* starters (%) winners (%) BW (%) earnings (%) ael
Mr. Greeley 590 2702 1961 ( 73) 1302 ( 48) 79 ( 3) $119,615,316 1.20

3. On older stallions still cranking in the stud book, you can get broodmare stats off the Bloodhorse Stallion Register page button. Mr. G was gone in 2010 so his data from this source would be too old. The current Register has this for Stomy Atlantic: " Stormy Atlantic is the sire of 454 dams of 1412 named foals of racing age, 1029 rnrs (73%), 661 wnrs (47%), 223 2yo wnrs (16%), 1.10 AEI, 1.35 CI; 60 sw, Leading Earner: Time Warp (GB) ($4,972,976). "

its a starting point so you don't have to run a whole mess of expensive reports but the full reports have lots of intersting stuff on what works and what doesn't sometimes despite the nicks.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

MaresRest
Suckling

Postby MaresRest » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:09 am

Another good source of basic sire info is the BloodHorse sire list archive. You can select from more than a dozen different sire lists (including broodmare sires)... using North American data or international... by year... and even drilling down to state/regional data. You can then click on column headers to reorganize the data.

An example: This year's general leading broodmare sire list in North America lists Mr. Greeley as no. 5 overall by earnings. You can click on the "AEI" header to resort, finding Mr. Greeley drops down the list quite a ways by average earnings index. You could also look way back at the 2010 list, when Mr. Greeley debuted at no. 90.
-----
Mares' Rest is a retirement facility for Thoroughbred broodmares. We're currently seeking 501(c)(3) certification.
This Pedigree Online account is monitored by Scot Gillies.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:41 am

Wow thanks. I had thought the kind of numbers he had might line up with Stormy Atlantic - they sure did. Both horses threw/throw Runners and were solid blue collar sires. It appears the daughters are carrying that torch.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....