New chef-de-race Chief's Crown I/S split...

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

SteveM
Suckling

New chef-de-race Chief's Crown I/S split...

Postby SteveM » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:04 am

Chief's Crown has become the 205th chef-de-race. I have contacted the pedigree online thoroughbred database directly to ask that it be updated to reflect this.

Dr Steven Roman and I have placed him as a split Intermediate/Solid.

The write up can be found on www.chef-de-race.com for those that are interested.

The Racing Post covered it last week:

Racing Post
BLOODSTOCK DESK

US champion Chief’s Crown is added to dosage chef-de-race list

Published: 13/04/2005 (Sport) Rachel Pagones
CHIEF'S CROWN has been named a chef-de-race by Steven Roman, creator of the modern dosage index, writes Rachel Pagones.
The system, for classifying pedigrees, is most often used to predict the winner of the Kentucky Derby based on a balance of speed and stamina among the horse's ancestors.
Chief's Crown, the champion US two-year-old of 1984, as well as the sire of Derby winner Erhaab and grandsire of dual Derby and Arc hero Sinndar and Irish Derby and King George victor Alamshar, is the 205th chef-de-race designated by Roman and his British-based associate Stephen Miller.
Chefs-de-race are classified according to the amount of speed versus stamina they pass on to their descendants. The divisions are brilliant, intermediate, classic, solid and professional, with brilliant the speediest and professional the most stamina-packed category.
Chief's Crown was given a split of intermediate and solid based on his runners' records. Descendants of Chief's Crown perform equally well on dirt or turf, and only four sires with North American stakes winners since 1983 have an average winning distance greater than his – Alleged, His Majesty, Persian Bold and Sadler's Wells.
The late sire's entry into the dosage-determining system comes shortly after Bellamy Road, by the young Chief's Crown sire Concerto, swept into Kentucky Derby favouritism with a wide-margin victory in Saturday's Grade 1 Wood Memorial Stakes.
Bellamy Road's dosage index has been consequently reduced from 3.50 – close to the 4.0 considered the upper limit for Kentucky Derby winners – to 2.53, a more comfortable figure for the mile-and-a-quarter distance.
For more information, see www.chef-de-race.com

www.racingpost.co.uk/bloodstock/bloodstock.sd

SteveM
Suckling

Chief's Crown update

Postby SteveM » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:24 am

Can the moderators on here help? No update appears to have been made to the database.

The DIs for the likes of Erhaab, Grand Lodge and all of Chief's Crown's decendants are still showing much too high.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:43 pm

That looks like something that needs to be adjusted by a site tech. It's not something the research group can change, and as far as I know the board moderator's abilities are restricted to the board itself (please correct me if I'm wrong, Roguelet! :wink: ).

You did right to contact the site directly. However, they may have their hands full at the moment, with Miles away. Hopefully they'll update it soon. :)

SteveM
Suckling

Chief's Crown

Postby SteveM » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:53 am

Thanks for the reply and explanation Lucy… thought I was talking to a vacuum.

Being an infrequent visitor to this forum I had not realised that Miles had been injured until your comments directed me to that thread.

I wish him good recovery.

I’ve no idea who is covering the site administration… if anyone?

Kind regards

SteppingStonesFarm
Newborn

Postby SteppingStonesFarm » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:06 pm

Steve--

Just out of curiosity, why hasnt an influential sire like Alleged been given Chef status?

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:46 pm

Hello Steve,

The late sire's entry into the dosage-determining system comes shortly after Bellamy Road, by the young Chief's Crown sire Concerto, swept into Kentucky Derby favouritism with a wide-margin victory in Saturday's Grade 1 Wood Memorial Stakes.
Bellamy Road's dosage index has been consequently reduced from 3.50 – close to the 4.0 considered the upper limit for Kentucky Derby winners – to 2.53, a more comfortable figure for the mile-and-a-quarter distance.

How do you expect to be taken seriously when you assign chef status to accomodate your formulas? Chief's Crown is NOT an elite sire.

At least you made this assignment before the race, not years after.

SteppingStones, Alleged has been an I/P chef for quite some time.

Pete

Playwithfire
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Playwithfire » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:30 pm

Looks like he's being called "Crief's Crown" these days...

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:01 pm

Hi Playwith,

Perhaps that's the one that was made the Chef? (Crief"?) :)

Pete

Coquinerie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Coquinerie » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:11 am

Pete wrote:Hello Steve,

How do you expect to be taken seriously when you assign chef status to accomodate your formulas? Chief's Crown is NOT an elite sire.

At least you made this assignment before the race, not years after.

SteppingStones, Alleged has been an I/P chef for quite some time.

Pete

You know Pete, I dont think Alleged was made a chef, at least not officially. Here's a list of all the chef's Roman lists in alphabetical order http://www.chef-de-race.com/dosage/chef ... /chefs.htm and its obviously updated because Chief's (criefs lol) Crown is on there. So in my opinion, thats ridiculous since I believe he deserves the status not to mention he's my favorite broodmare sire.

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:48 am

Hi Coquinerie,

How would you pronounce your nick? Ko-keen-a-ree? OK to call you Coke?

I've seen Alleged listed as an I/P chef for years, both here on DelMar and other pedigree programs (specifically Alan Porter's).

I also distinctly remember a list of chefs where Alleged is singled out for explanation because he's (unusual as) an I/P.

Now it should be clear that I put NO faith in the dosage system, poor remedial statistics at best, but I come to my lack of respect honestly having read Varola (and Roman too) extensively.

That said, I can't say that I've ever checked to see if Alleged was listed as a chef on Roman's site and you're absolutely right that he's not listed there, in fact, he's not even listed as an influential sire!

That would mean that we've all been using incorrect dosage data on this site!! OMG!! I'm selling my hosses!! :wink:

With the professionalism exhibited by the dosage folks of adding Crief's (sic) Crown right before the Derby to prove themselves right (opps! the hoss didn't win), I wouldn't put it past a simple error like erasing his name from a list and no one noticing?

I spent too much time on the Chef site with the Druids there and leave it up to someone else to get to the bottom of this (why is Alleged showing up
as an I/P chef when he's not on the official list).

Thanks for pointing this out Coke.

Regards,

Pete