European Black type

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

pembroke
Allowance Winner

European Black type

Postby pembroke » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:05 pm

Looking at a mare in U.S. for breeding to sell purposes. Her third dam raced in France, as did her foals and their offsring as well. Six pages of produce and a ton of black type. What I want to know is...does that affect in any way, the foals I would be producing? The black type offspring were mostly produced by U.S. stallions! Affirmed, Saint Ballado, Woodman, Quiet American to name a few. These mares were bred to good stallions. The euro blood was Luthier,Assert, Caro. Do buyers look at euro black type as equal? Or, would that have a negative impact ? This mares 1st. dam is in the U.S. and her second dam died after 1 foal. She is by a very good, now deceased, American sire. Would welcome any comments as I really have no idea here.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:42 am

How well did her first dam run? Was she a winner, stakes winner, unraced? If her first dam was a good runner, then she will bring more value than if her first dam were unplaced. How about the 2nd dam? Is she one of those black-type horses?

I don't think that Euro black type will scare off buyers, as European racing is usually of very high class, and the bloodlines are well known. If the black type were from, say, India or Mauritius, where the racing class is not known, that would probably have a negative impact.

Do you mind sharing the mare's name?

pembroke
Allowance Winner

Postby pembroke » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:02 am

The mares name is Gwynedd

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:16 am

The only detraction I can see is that she is not in the APR... provided you are breeding to sell and are selling at a sale with European buyers that shouldn't matter ALL that much. Of course, I think Luthier in a pedigree is an outstanding asset... look at my stallion, Rocking Trick! :lol:
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Coquinerie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Coquinerie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:56 am

to me, there's no deterant if the page is mostly european as long as there's lots of marquee european races shown on the page. also, a winner in france, to me, is a better thing than a winner in ireland or england. in my opinion, the french circuit is a little more thick in class.

pembroke
Allowance Winner

Postby pembroke » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:28 pm

Thanks everyone for your opinions. It helped tremendously!!

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:47 pm

Hi Pembroke,

It's often hard for buyers to gauge the quality and impact of purely Euro lines and they may sell at a discount. If there's some proof of working with NA lines, there's less impact on price.

Gwynedd descends from a good family but her pedigree is light for 2 generations, mainly because 1st dam Blind Trust is the only foal of her dam, Trusting. Thus for her foal there will be 3 light generations.

Fortunately, Blind Trust is being bred steadily to decent sires and you may get some help in the first generation. I don't think the Euro blood is of any concern, rather the light pedigree is.

As a general rule of thumb, value the first generation at 60%, 2nd 25% and the rest for the remaining pedigree.

Good Luck,

Pete
Has a palomino jean that pop up some.
This stallion is DNA ... all foal can be MBNA inrolled.

Horses like their credit cards.
- Four Forty Farms