pedigree/stallion help!

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

robingw
Newborn

pedigree/stallion help!

Postby robingw » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:10 pm

Hi, I'm new to the world of pedigree... just starting looking into my boy's roots. Maybe a few of you can help me with some questions... My gelding's name is Cover Boy (the 1991 model!) by Cravvhit, out of Court Duchess. Now, I have been looking back in his pedigree, and have found some well known names... northern dancer, nijinsky, man o war, etc. Can any of you tell me if his pedigree is considered 'good'? He was never raced, and I don't believe that he was even trained to race. He was originally owned by a Muscillo Racing Stable in Ontario (Canada). I am also looking for information on his sire Cravvhit (FR). Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to share!

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Re: pedigree/stallion help!

Postby Sam » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:54 pm

robingw wrote:Now, I have been looking back in his pedigree, and have found some well known names... northern dancer, nijinsky, man o war, etc. Can any of you tell me if his pedigree is considered 'good'?

The short answer ... no.

As for the names the names that you found that are well known, they are all back in the 3rd generation or farther .. and most of the TBs of today contain the same names.

Just because a horse has Northern Dancer in his pedigree, that doesn't make it a "good" one... look up Zippy Chippy.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:05 pm

A little background on his pedigree. His sire had a racing record of 20 starts, 1 win, 3 seconds, and 1 third, earning $16,375. His dam was a winner with a record of 16-2-2-0, and earnings of $22,533.
There were some good runners in the sire's family. He is a half sibling to G2 winner and G1 stakes placed, L'Attrayante, and G3 stakes winner Campo Moro. Cravvhit was imported to North America as a 5 year old. Female family of Secretariat and Alleged among others. Not much going on in the dam's family in recent years.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

robingw
Newborn

Postby robingw » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:06 pm

Thanks Sam for the straight-forwardness on the matter - I thought that was the case (that essentially all TBs can trace to some of those names). Am more interested in the first 3 generations anyways, but was very good to hear your perspective on it.

Bill from WA - thank you for that info... I had not found anything on his sire (not really knowing where to look!). I had learned that his dam's sire (Saunders) was quite a popular stud for for producing hunters here in Ontario.

Thanks again, the input from both of you has been interesting! Good pedigree or no, I'm just glad he's mine! But it's fun learning about it all the same!