What is the prognosis? Fractured sesmoid?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shannon
Starters Handicap

What is the prognosis? Fractured sesmoid?

Postby Shannon » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:59 pm

Colt out of a friend of mines mare fractured a sesmaoid bone a couple months ago in his stall. What are the chances he'll come back? He had surgery and all chips are gone, he's still resting/hand-walking now. They hope to get him going again in spring 2005? What are the odds?

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:50 pm

Sesamoids can and do heal, but they suffer from the problem of poor blood supply, and consequently they heal slowly. Some horses will heal very well and other horses will never heal. Many will appear to heal but have soundness issues when put into heavy training. You have to assess it on a horse by horse basis. On average I would consider the spring of 2005 to be somewhat optimistic, but then I don't have the horse in front of me telling me I'm wrong.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:56 am

Seems like I read in Thoroughbred Times not too long ago that the full recovery prognosis for these things was about 25%, but that probably depends on exactly what got damaged.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

louis finochio
Darley line

fractured sesamoids

Postby louis finochio » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:20 am

Go to your herb store and buy grape seed powder and feed 2oz. am 2oz. pm. Grape seed will improve the blood flow to the damaged area. Grape seed will also roto rooter your TB veins and artries and improve circulation. Buz our local farrier had 90 percent blockage of his artries. I told him about grape seed powder and 3 years later has only 15 percent blockage. Buz takes 5 250mg capsules daily.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:39 am

Louis,

Are you certain Grapeseed powder/extract is good for horses? Some things that work great in humans are toxic to animals. Do you know a vet that recommends it? If not, I would surely check VERY carefully to be sure it would not harm the horse. It would sure be great to find a holistic vet that had a list of herbs, etc., to avoid with horses.

Pie™
2yo Maiden

Postby Pie™ » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:48 am

I had a colt fracture his medial sesamoid at 3, after taking 2nd in his 1st and only start. It was an incomplete fracture. He had surgery to repair the fracture, a pin was placed and the bone repaired completely. No suspensory damage at all. The horse was rehabbed a year, including HA, Adequan, Cosequin, IGF-1 shots directly into the joint, swimming, handwalking after full stall rest. The horse came back quite nicely, spent 17 weeks working up to his first breeze, and did well 3f in 36flat. However he came back from his work so sore, that it was decided to retire him. He is now a low level dressage horse.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

sesamoids

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:55 am

racehorse torn suspensories and fractured sesamoids in 2000.after rest one year,adequan,HA and plently of glucosamine/chondroitine back in training now very successful barrel horse.

louis finochio
Darley line

Fractured Sesamoids

Postby louis finochio » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:36 pm

Let me ask my vet if grape seed powder is ok for TB, I'll post it later.

Louis Finochio

louis finochio
Darley line

FRACTURED SESAMOIDS

Postby louis finochio » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:38 pm

I talked to our vet about a fractured sesamoid, he told me their is a product called Rapid Response. It increases blood flow to an injured area. I read the label and it has grape seed or procyannidins which is grape seed by another name. It also has glucosimine and chrondotrin. The web site is www. Amerdon.com I hope it helps if you purchase it, Good Luck.

Louis Finochio

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:50 pm

Thanks Louis for checking on the grapeseed info. Good website. Will check it out more later.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Re: FRACTURED SESAMOIDS

Postby BJ » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:59 pm

louis finochio wrote:I talked to our vet about a fractured sesamoid, he told me their is a product called Rapid Response. It increases blood flow to an injured area. I read the label and it has grape seed or procyannidins which is grape seed by another name. It also has glucosimine and chrondotrin. The web site is www. Amerdon.com I hope it helps if you purchase it, Good Luck.

Louis,

Which Vet told you about Rapid Response? I've been trying to find someone who has actually used it for some time.

Thanks,
BJ

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

sesamoids

Postby Laurierace » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:38 pm

I vowed that I will never again attempt to bring a horse with fractured sesamoids back to the races again. I had two that got this injury at the same time. I gave both of them a year off before starting them back into training. One of them had one start and the other had two before I retired them permanently. In my experience it just isn't worth it. If you do get them to come back to the races expect them to be at about half their value pre-injury.
While I am very pessimistic about sesamoids for racing purposes, these horses can and do go on to have successful second careers. You may have to limit or even exclude jumping but everything else is a go. Good luck with it no matter what you decide to do with the horse.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:02 pm

Well, they have him back in training already. 2 furlong works the other day. Trainer really doesn't want to push him, so fingers are crossed that he stays sound mentally and physically. We're hoping for the best!
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:21 pm

I use grape seed regularly in the liquid form usually in dark bottles from California or France. It certainly helps my circulation and after a few glasses in a row I see clearly enough to realise that imperfect sesamoids and speed work do not go well together.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:34 pm

:lol: oh wilf, I love that stuff, too...also the Italian stuff... it does all that for me and more.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....