Anyone have a arch enemy-be it horse/trainer/jockey?

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

imnumberjuan
Allowance Winner

Anyone have a arch enemy-be it horse/trainer/jockey?

Postby imnumberjuan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:43 am

Anyone have an arch enemy that foiled your best handicapping attempts?

My personal all time arch nemisis was a gelding named Tiny Tim.... he could drop in class to NW1Y bottoms in September and look like crap - next race he'd jump up to open claiming and would renact Secretariat's Belmont race... it got to be I would see him on the Northlands Card and would fold my program up and stay home, never mind just not betting his race. He was inside my head... I swear.... :roll: :lol: :shock: :roll: :lol:
Gotta keep on Keepin on - Joe Dirt

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:00 pm

Jockies: Victor Esponiza- I hate him. I have never hated a jockey as much as I hate Victor. smug bastard has lost me so much money over the years. he needs to take that clock in his head to the shop or pawn it. I was so pissed after the arlington million that I coudlnt' watch anymore races the rest of the day and I didn't even have a bet in, i wasjus tpissed he costed the tin man back to back arlington millions. thinking about him is pissing me off

trainers: Jerry Hollendorfer- Because he has single handily made northern california impossible to play. taking damn allowence calibur horses and dropping them in 8k claimers for the hell of it. you dont'k now if they are that bad or if he is just trying to steal a race. then he puts the all time winningest jockey on the back of all his good mounts

horses- Icy Atlantic- Because I was chasing him all year long. I thre whim out of a grade 2 at santa anita and he turns in one of hte most impressive turf runs i saw all year. I have him as a longshot in the undercard of the derby and he throws a clunker. I throw him out of a race at monmouth and he breaks the track record. I pick up on him in the next race and he throws a clunker.

FAv horse- a filly up at mountineer named J for Jacquline. I made so much money off her this year I probabaly could have claimed her lol. she runs her little heart out every race and wins, and every race she is over 7 to 1. never seeen anythihng like it.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:52 pm

Corey Nakanausea. He's given more bonehead rides than anyone in history. There's nothing like seeing Nakanausea with two handfuls of horse and he then runs up behind two tiring speeds and has to check behind them.

When he was riding in NY, Shaun Bridgmohan performed more chokes than the Heimlich Maneuver. He'd bend himself in half choking a horse down the backstretch, and then when he'd ask the horse to run, it would say "screw you!" and spit the bit. God, is he terrible!

Kent Dedumbeaux gets an honorable mention.

As far as trainers in NY, Rick Dutrow is a menace unto himself. His form reversals with newly acquired stock are incredible...you might as well throw out the Racing Form. NEVER leave out a Dutrow horse... I'd rather throw in a Dutrow horse and lose than have one of his juicejobs win by 10 and beat me.
What synthetics are to California racing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gb0mxcpPOU

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:24 pm

Oh I almost forgot

tracks=daunte's inferno...better known as suffolk downs.

i am convinced... with every bit of my heart.. that at least half the races up there are fixed. there is no ohter explication.

I mean there is badc racing luck. there is bad handicapping. then there is just "now.. damnit. wait a minute"

I one day saw a literarly..30 to 1 M/L shot open up the tote at 9/5. went back to about 14 to 1 ish.. and won with the absolute most possible ease. like he was a stakes horse dropping in claiming class.
It's like they just draw straws in the jocks room to see whoose turn is it to win.

4k claimers jumping up to allowence and winning by 4. allowence horses dropping to claimers and not passing any horse.. after they just won an allowence race. there is no reason to any of it.

- Einstein

imnumberjuan
Allowance Winner

Postby imnumberjuan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:24 pm

Rokeby, I know your pain with Shaun.... and bdw, my buddy shares your pain except his track is the "Mountain" :lol: He swears no one is checking pre-race tattoos...

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:26 pm

Finger Lakes is so bad I dont' even consider it a race track anymore

- Einstein

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:37 pm

bdw0617 wrote:Oh I almost forgot

tracks=daunte's inferno...better known as suffolk downs.

i am convinced... with every bit of my heart.. that at least half the races up there are fixed. there is no ohter explication.

I mean there is badc racing luck. there is bad handicapping. then there is just "now.. damnit. wait a minute"

You forgot 'bad horses'.

I hate to say it, as Suffolk's my home track and I still hold out hope for its resurrection, but the talent pool there was pretty grim this year. The reason it's so hard to handicap - and why horses seem to switch class willy-nilly - is that for the most part there's barely a difference between the allowance horses and the bottom claimers.

bdw0617 wrote:I one day saw a literarly..30 to 1 M/L shot open up the tote at 9/5. went back to about 14 to 1 ish.. and won with the absolute most possible ease. like he was a stakes horse dropping in claiming class.

And another thing - the pools are so small, any one bettor plunking down a bundle will send the odds board into a tailspin. :roll: Makes it kind of tough to 'follow the money', so to speak.

On the plus side, it makes it easier to keep one's hands in one's pockets while at the track. :wink:

imnumberjuan
Allowance Winner

Postby imnumberjuan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:01 pm

Lucy,

I get that feeling watching Portland Meadow's - you get races with a mixed bag of entrants - Santa Anita in one post, Boise Idaho or Walla Walla in the next.

As for further nemsis... Lost in the Fog... I figured he had to lose at some point prior to his Breeder's Cup loss, needless to say there are several horses that owe me money from that train of thought.

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:28 pm

Lucy - Suffolk fell into a tailspin after it closed about 15 or so years ago and nobody went back when it reopened. Rebuilding the place never resurrected it, and now that everything around the track has slots but the track doesn't, it's surely doomed for good.

I remember not too long ago when Suffolk had some "name" personalities, but no more. Guys like Carl Gambardella, Vinnie Blengs, Bill Perry, Butch Lenzini, Ned Allard and Abigail Fuller with Mom's Command, Dave Vivian, Bob Klesaris, and Timmy Hills ruled the place. Now, I can't think of anyone there.

I met Jack Penney at Belmont when he was galloping horses for Zito - he was a bigtime coke addict and one of the leading riders at Suffolk in the 1980s, but New England finally tossed him out. He once told me that Abigail Fuller had Jorge Vargas's baby...does anyone know if that's true?

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:50 pm

Rokeby Forever wrote:He once told me that Abigail Fuller had Jorge Vargas's baby...does anyone know if that's true?

Yes. I thought they were married, but could be mistaken as I don't know them well. I did meet Abigail once at the Marshfield Fair when said baby was still in a stroller....kid's gotta be in college by now. :shock:

ETA: apparently they never married. Abigail is married to Mike Catalano, and they have at least one other child.

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:00 pm

Peter Fuller must have loved that, huh? LOL!

Lucy - sometimes, I refuse to admit that I'm over 30. Why don't more people believe me? :?

NorthStar
Allowance Winner

Postby NorthStar » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:21 pm

Chris McCarron! From Alysheba to the day CM retired!

It got to the point I used to bet on him just to stop a horse! If I bet on him he'd lose. If I left him off a ticket he'd be the one thing that kept me from winning the p-6 or an "in the bag" triple!

Great person, but my arch nemesis at the windows! He was on Touch Gold when Silver Charm was going for the TC!

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:40 pm

Rokeby Forever wrote:Peter Fuller must have loved that, huh? LOL!

Lucy - sometimes, I refuse to admit that I'm over 30. Why don't more people believe me? :?

Roke, here you go again....stirring (or smokin) the pot, she is married to Mike Catalano and I'm pretty sure they're all his kids. TJ

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:05 pm

TJ wrote:Roke, here you go again....stirring (or smokin) the pot, she is married to Mike Catalano and I'm pretty sure they're all his kids. TJ

Does Mike Catalano speak with a Spanish accent? LOL!

Daisy Jal Dastur
Allowance Winner

Postby Daisy Jal Dastur » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:01 pm

without a doubt... Jose Santos when he was still riding and now, David Flores.... just don't get me started on those two!