How to Watch a Race

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

ZZTOPPERS
Maiden Special Weight

How to Watch a Race

Postby ZZTOPPERS » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:34 am

I'll admit, I have a tough time with this subject (I grew up on PPs in the DRF), but other than watching for poor breaks, horses get checked along the way, loose horses, and the like, what are some personal things you all look for when watching a race? I focus too much on "my horse" which means I have to watch replays and get the big picture. I've read the final turn is the most important part of the race, but so far I'm not grasping that whole copncept (why is it the most important part to watch?). And yes, I still have problems spotting the lead switch down the lane :evil: .

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:52 pm

I just kind of watch in general and see which horses catch my eye. Horses that get passed and then come on back to win or at least to improve their placing are winners in my opinion--it shows fight. I also look for any real pulling on the reins or climbing, bad habits so I can maybe stay away from those horses.
Sometimes a fluid stride or clumsy carriage will also catch my eye.
Therefore I end of up with horses I like and those I don't, and I've often noticed sire stamping and other hereditary traits when I look up pedigrees of those who have caught my eye. Freuds all look alike to me, and I notice a high stretch "from the elbows" movement in City Zip horses. Two Punches often fight back after being passed. Etcetera.
The far turn? Probably because that's when so many make their move, and many others are tiring or may go wide, carrying other horses out.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Rokeby Forever
Darley line

Postby Rokeby Forever » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:18 pm

I always like to watch the far turn and see who's making a wide move - to me, it's the toughest part of the race to make up ground, and even if a horse poops out from a wide sweep on the turn, it says to me that the horse is racing sharp and is maybe worth a play next time.
What synthetics are to California racing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gb0mxcpPOU

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:43 pm

it takes a lot of practice.. once you get good at it there is no going back. you can see things that you can't see in a form like when a horse is going very easy, if he's all in, how wide he is, etc...
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

ZZTOPPERS
Maiden Special Weight

Postby ZZTOPPERS » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:21 pm

Do you focus on one horse at a time, or take in the whole pack at once?

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:24 pm

i personally look at the front part of the race and keep my eyes on all of the horses then my eyes seem to focus on "sudden movements" or things that don't go with the rest of the race.. one horse tgrying too hard, another jockey all in, a stumble, etc.

at the end of the race or the t urn i focus on the front runners and the body action of each horse.

- Einstein

imnumberjuan
Allowance Winner

Postby imnumberjuan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:10 am

I also like to watch Jockey behaviour - does he let the reins out or is he strangling the horse trying to rein him in, is he alert or is he not paying attention.

An example of that is say a jockey makes the lead easy and in the stretch he puts his whip away only to get passed and finish 2nd 3rd 4th etc. :shock:

I have notcied certain behaviours - after a spill certain jockeys are less inclined to let a horse go through traffic and go wide instead. Others I have noticed "show up" for every race except bottom claimers.
Gotta keep on Keepin on - Joe Dirt

Playwithfire
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Playwithfire » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:24 pm

imnumberjuan wrote:I also like to watch Jockey behaviour - does he let the reins out or is he strangling the horse trying to rein him in, is he alert or is he not paying attention.

Great point about the jockey and ease or difficulty he is having in a horse early in a race. I've started to look at this more closely, mainly when i watch a horse i have interest in run. You are focused on your horse, and yours alone generally, seeing how it is moving going into that first turn. I hate seeing the jock basically standing up w/ taut reigns trying to slow the horse down. I also like to watch as they head into the far turn. Is the jock sitting "chilly" as they say or has he started urging the horse. you can get a good idea how that leader is going finish based on those observations.

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:26 pm

One thing I like to look for is a jockey who rides his horse like a race car, that is lateral movement while also accelerating past horses. It takes an athletic horse with a lot of energy and speed, always a good sign.

Tab any horse that you see ridden like a race car.

Another thing to watch for is a horse that is ASKED, responds and then is stopped, befor re-accelerating. I call that "Two Moves." It's another great sign. "Three moves" even better. lol

imnumberjuan
Allowance Winner

Postby imnumberjuan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:45 pm

you know the only reason I started watching jockey behaviour has to do with my running a couple of horses ... after a bad race you look back and can evaluate it as the following: racing luck, the other horses were better, or WTF was he/she thinking?

In the case of WTF was he/she thinking I prefer to confer with partners and then ask the trainer what happened. (I have yet to use the term "I'd prefer you (the trainer) scratch the horse before you let so and so ride again" as some of my associates have).

Though I have commented on deporting one jockey the "hard way" - it'd involve sending him back to whatever third world country he is from inside a container ... errr.. breathe... serenity now serenity now... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Gotta keep on Keepin on - Joe Dirt

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:48 pm

pefect example. yesterday in the san antionio i expected as did many for zappa to run big. in the stretch he was nowhere to be found. JOel was all out in the turn. he wasn't on his game today (the horse) for some reason.

- Einstein