Texas Thoroughbred Forum

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Roger
Grade I Winner

Texas Thoroughbred Forum

Postby Roger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:05 am

I'm tired of waiting two or three days for a post to be posted and I'm tired of having my post deleted just because I have an opinion that is different from the TTA's. I was wondering how many Texan's read and post here. If you don't mind would Texans using this site please post a response to this thread. Maybe we need to express our opinions here and not there.

Strategic Maneuver
Starters Handicap

Postby Strategic Maneuver » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:01 am

Hey Rog, I'm still here and as I said before, I left after South went postal and then threatened to delete our posts if she didn't like our opinions. Also, did you note in the minutes of the 10/16 TTA mtg. she actually brought up the forum and says Denis will be "exercising tighter control of posts". That kind of gag order doesn't sit well with me since none of our posts were abusive or personal attacks and it places Denis in an awkward position. It's really a shame.

elviswastheking
Maiden Special Weight

Postby elviswastheking » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:20 pm

I used to post on the Texas board, but I have not even checked it for these very reasons. I am not real big on the mind control games.

A note to TTA Forum: Some of us still do enjoy the use of our Civil Liberties!

Roger
Grade I Winner

Postby Roger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:38 pm

I just read the HRTV is not going to show Lonestar until negotiations are settled with the Texas Horsemen. What are we negotiating about? It's heck to be trying to get something and not know anything about.
Now to this thread, I am hoping that we can get all the Texas based users of this site to post their feelins about the TTA, both pros and cons. Down the road, I would hope we can all voice our opinions on topics such as the breed back rule and racing dates. If we can get that started, we can invite the Tx-Racing commission to view the thread and we can write and email them in force, maybe then we can have some influence with them. I feel that the TTA is representative of small group of powerful Texans looking to fill their pockets even more under the gize of improving the breed.

Bedouwia
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Bedouwia » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:38 am

Count me among the Texans here on this forum. It is sad that the TTA forum has gone downhill so quickly. In the past, it was a good group of folks, with some very useful discussion about breeding and racing that was relevant to our small world in Texas. Now, more and more of the posters have left. Kind of like Texas racing? I am not interested in bashing anyone, anywhere, but don't like being controlled either. The sad thing is that if everyone leaves the TTA forum, then really those that have never liked it win.

Bedouwia

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:36 am

I'm another head to count 'among the Texans' that participate on this forum.

toadie
Allowance Winner

Postby toadie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:11 pm

I quit posting/reading regularly on the TX forum months ago. I got peeved when they started reviewing/censoring posts and was told it was because of potential lawsuits. I wish they'd put their energy in to fixing Tx racing instead of wasting it on paranoia. This forum and the other (COTH) I frequent seem to have no major problems just utilizing moderators, instead of censors. The last straw was a couple of wks ago when I tried to email someone through the forum. I got an error msg. and then saw a post that it was an ongoing problem. Anyway they never got the msg.
"Most people hate the taste of beer to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome."-Winston Churchill

keyranch
Allowance Winner

Postby keyranch » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:32 pm

I retrieved my password when I heard about the Scrappy Roo posts. I think I contributed to the censorship at the TTA forum. The take on all the censorship to me is thatn many of the posts were being read by the powers to be and they were not happy campers.

elviswastheking
Maiden Special Weight

Postby elviswastheking » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:57 pm

Texan here. I have kind of quit checking on the industry in Texas out of disgust after all the censoring of open ideas started. Maybe we can get a thread here, somewhere that we can state our views on the Texas racing industry, without Big Brother TTA silencing us all.

Barn 31 T-breds
2yo Maiden

Postby Barn 31 T-breds » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:24 pm

Not a Texan but I own a couple of shares in a Texas stallion.

There is so little activity on the TTA site that I stopped checking in every day. This thread has probably gotten more action than any on that site in the six months I have been there.

Good luck to you all and I hope that meeting on this forum can do something to improve the state of racing in the Lone Star state.

Strategic Maneuver
Starters Handicap

Postby Strategic Maneuver » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Thank you Roger so much for starting this thread.

keyranch
Allowance Winner

Postby keyranch » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:40 pm

Horse came in and did not finish my thought on the earlier post. It is quite obvious that they have gone back to the mushroom philosophy with the membership at TTA. It would be good if the bits and pieces of the Texas agendas could be discussed here. They have wanted to kill the TTA forum soon after its creation and have discussed it in committee meetings as I have been told.

I read on the bloodhorse web that they are negotiating with the account wajering entities for a better cut for the purses. Does anyone seem to care that the Breeders fund is not ever mentioned in any of these discussions. I have been told that in the slots legislation there is no money dedicated to the Texas bred fund. When I questioned the HBPA people they seemed shocked and really had not thought of it being included in the legislation. I have been told there will be money dedicated to the TTA and TQHA to use at their descretion to improve the industry??

That is the piece that this mushroom has picked up on, has anyone read this thing or have any details.

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:54 pm

Truly nice to read your posts. As a breeder in Texas, I hardly know anyone in the state who is in the business, and I'd thought of finding the TTA forum. I am sorry some of you have not had a good experience with it. I am very interested in the future of Texas racing because it definitely affects future racing and breeding decisions for all of us who love this businss and are from this state.

Would love to meet some of you...

Bedouwia
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Bedouwia » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:22 am

Barn 31, you count as an honorary Texan to me, if you are a shareholder in a Texas stallion. If you feel that you do not have enough Texas stallion shares, I can help you get some more. :D It takes some courage to back a Texas stallion in the current environment, but a few of us refuse to give up. We just need a little help from those who are supposed to be our friends.

As for the proposed legislation. No bills are actually filed yet. That cannot happen until after the elections in November. Therefore, if there are changes that need to be made to improve the legislation, they need to be lobbied for now. I think it is the Texas Horsemen's Group that is supposed to be drafting the bill. That is my impression, but I will try to check on that.

Bedouwia

keyranch
Allowance Winner

Postby keyranch » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:19 am

The plan B part does not seam to be taken seriously by the powers to be and it is quite apparent that the influence is certainly not with the members of the various associations.

The positives about Texas racing are the restricted stallion stakes series and the restricted stakes schedule. It is not quite as good as Fl, but it is better than almost everywhere else. The ability to take a noncommercial mare and make her commcercial with the addition of blacktype is the name of the game for these races.

With the drop in the Texas foal crops the opportunity is greater for the remaining horses. The fear is that the reduction in numbers will result in the tracks wanting to reduce days to keep field sizes up. This will be a national problem in a few short years with the national numbers going down and the number of tracks running at the same time. The corruption of the many state programs by the Ky interests has certainly been a huge factor in the loss of production all over the country.

If you can get hooked up with trainers and people you can be confident in in Texas, you can get it to the track better and cheaper to find out where to place your horse to make the most money. The stallion power is here, it is consolidated down to a few farms.