Smoky Black??? Or just turning grey?

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Bondama
Grade III Winner

Smoky Black??? Or just turning grey?

Postby Bondama » Mon May 05, 2008 9:55 am

They are advertising this horse as a smoky black...sorry, but to me, she looks like she's just graying out.

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-86507
Justice: When you get what you deserve.
Mercy: When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace: When you get what you don't deserve.

Nancy T
Allowance Winner

Postby Nancy T » Mon May 05, 2008 11:25 am

pedigree says mom is a grey..that's my guess!

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Mon May 05, 2008 12:00 pm

Are there any known smoky black tbs?

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Mon May 05, 2008 12:45 pm

Smokey black is a Black horse that carries the cream gene.

Cream turns Bay to Buckskin, Chestnut to Palomino, and Blacks to Smokey Black. So yes, there could be Smokey Black TB's, but they need to have one of the known cream gene lines in the pedigree.

This mare doesn't have any, and is most likely a grey.

larrygene
Grade III Winner

Postby larrygene » Mon May 05, 2008 1:00 pm

My filly Miss Counter Top is registed as a dark bay or brown but when you look more closely she has white hairs mixed in all over her body. Neither parent is gray but sires sire is gray. Is that gray gene expressing itself through these gray hairs. He pic is in the PQ. Would like some comments.

Larrygene

lazyfranch
Maiden Special Weight

Postby lazyfranch » Mon May 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Larry the gray gene cannot skip a generation, the foal MUST have 1 parent that is gray in order to go gray. Probably just some rabacino ticking or roaning.

Sunday Rider
Allowance Winner

Postby Sunday Rider » Mon May 05, 2008 4:20 pm

I just recentally got a "Gray" she is 7 years old, her body is white but,her mane is still black. She is beyond beautiful, her sire and dame are grays,my question is will her mane stay black or go white???
"Give me any horse that has the heart of a Thoroughbread" Nora

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Mon May 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Sunday Rider wrote:I just recentally got a "Gray" she is 7 years old, her body is white but,her mane is still black. She is beyond beautiful, her sire and dame are grays,my question is will her mane stay black or go white???

Most likely it'll go white eventually, I knew a couple like that. But it sure does look great for a while - enjoy it while it lasts! :wink:

soundfast
Allowance Winner

Postby soundfast » Mon May 05, 2008 5:44 pm

My yearling filly was born black turned dark bay then tan with some black then turned black again when she got her winter coat now she is a very dark bay but looks black except in strong light just like last year except that she has started getting white hairs widely spaced. She had no white at all until this spring. Her sire is chestnut with white markings and her dam is dark bay with a white mark on her forehead.

Sunday Rider
Allowance Winner

Postby Sunday Rider » Wed May 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanks Lucy, This Gray has more than looks going for her, she is dream to ride. I'll try and load some pics of her. I want to get a bunch white she still has the black mane:)She came from a local well known Sports Horse breeder named Mike Rowe. He did some special breeds to put this horse together just right and she shows it 8) I do wish she would keep the black mane but,she will still be a beauty with the white mane :)
"Give me any horse that has the heart of a Thoroughbread" Nora

gotpaints
Maiden Special Weight

Postby gotpaints » Thu May 08, 2008 12:06 am

larrygene wrote:My filly Miss Counter Top is registed as a dark bay or brown but when you look more closely she has white hairs mixed in all over her body. Neither parent is gray but sires sire is gray. Is that gray gene expressing itself through these gray hairs. He pic is in the PQ. Would like some comments.

Larrygene

She could just be roaning out. Some horses roan out in the summer or winter when they shed. But her picture just makes her look like a dark bay, I don't see any white hair.
"I've never trained a horse in my life, the horses have trained me"-2006 BC Juvie Winner & 2007 Kentucky Derby winner Street Sense's trainer Carl Nafzger