This forum and colour

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Evenheaven
Allowance Winner

Postby Evenheaven » Tue May 06, 2008 8:16 am

If you don't like the color threads, then just don't look at them. There are some threads that I never look at because they don't interest me but the color ones grab my attention. Sorry, long weekend at a hunter show and I'm still in hunter *itch mode :)
"Every little girl deserves a horse"
http://www.freewebs.com/evenheaven

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Wed May 07, 2008 6:19 pm

if you look at the threads, you'll see a huge number of color ones. I propose a separate color "folder" for those who are interested

gotpaints
Maiden Special Weight

Postby gotpaints » Wed May 07, 2008 11:59 pm

People like color because it sticks out. I know for me it's so much easier to see horses with more color on the track and tell where they are in the race. Such as Recapturetheglory in the Derby because of his facial markings.
"I've never trained a horse in my life, the horses have trained me"-2006 BC Juvie Winner & 2007 Kentucky Derby winner Street Sense's trainer Carl Nafzger

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Thu May 08, 2008 6:35 am

I always thought that's what silks are for....

Simengineer
Yearling

Postby Simengineer » Thu May 08, 2008 8:19 am

I'm always interested in the color threads for two reasons.

1) The little kid in me want's another Secretariat. All beautiful chestnut horses with plenty of chrome are eventually compared to the great one (by me as well as others).

2) The analytical person that I am wants to know more about how the genetics of horses determine what color the offspring will be. And does color have any effect on ability. I've heard stories where one color would be prefered over another at the sales, although no evidence has been presented to back up the preference.

I've watched Jorge's threads for quite some time before deciding to participate. This board has a wide range of interests, skill levels and enthusiasm. A true gem.
Anger is never without a reason, but seldom with a good one. ~Benjamin Franklin

Sunday Rider
Allowance Winner

Postby Sunday Rider » Thu May 08, 2008 8:58 am

For me it's like waiting 12 months to open a Christmas present :) And color,purty, body style,head size,terperment,soundness, all does help the sell value:) We are not racers so, yes, we do just love to see how a color will play out in the mix:)
"Give me any horse that has the heart of a Thoroughbread" Nora

Tonno100
Maiden Special Weight

gdf

Postby Tonno100 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:02 am

Evenheaven wrote:If you don't like the color threads, then just don't look at them. There are some threads that I never look at because they don't interest me but the color ones grab my attention. Sorry, long weekend at a hunter show and I'm still in hunter *itch mode :)

You’re implying that I don’t like them, this isn’t true. The purpose of them perked my interest into asking about that very fact!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu May 08, 2008 9:14 am

springboro wrote:if you look at the threads, you'll see a huge number of color ones. I propose a separate color "folder" for those who are interested

I proposed a separate "color folder" a while back when the forum was first actually broken into separate folders for the first time. I think I got flamed for it. But yes, I would really prefer that. Maybe we should take a poll?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

gotpaints
Maiden Special Weight

Postby gotpaints » Thu May 08, 2008 10:38 am

Sysonby wrote:I always thought that's what silks are for....

Sometimes it's hard to see a certain color in a sea of silks but it's easy to spot a certain marking if it is flashy enough.
"I've never trained a horse in my life, the horses have trained me"-2006 BC Juvie Winner & 2007 Kentucky Derby winner Street Sense's trainer Carl Nafzger

Sunday Silence

Postby Sunday Silence » Thu May 08, 2008 11:33 am

Color is a fun topic, and I wouldn't mind a seperate folder for them. I love looking at pics of flashy Thoroughbreds. :D

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Postby Nessa » Thu May 08, 2008 11:47 am

Sysonby wrote:I always thought that's what silks are for....

The silks are actually for identifying the owners of the horse.
Nu

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Postby Nessa » Thu May 08, 2008 11:49 am

madelyn wrote:
springboro wrote:if you look at the threads, you'll see a huge number of color ones. I propose a separate color "folder" for those who are interested

I proposed a separate "color folder" a while back when the forum was first actually broken into separate folders for the first time. I think I got flamed for it. But yes, I would really prefer that. Maybe we should take a poll?

A separate color fold would be great.
Nu

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Thu May 08, 2008 11:52 am

Oh, OK, OK....

give me a sec... :lol:
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu May 08, 2008 11:56 am

YAY ROGUE!! Thanks!!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Evenheaven
Allowance Winner

Postby Evenheaven » Thu May 08, 2008 5:28 pm

Thanks Rogou!!!
"Every little girl deserves a horse"

http://www.freewebs.com/evenheaven