Warm and Fuzzy Update on FL SPCA's Care of Norcrest Horses

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Pawtucket
Weanling

Warm and Fuzzy Update on FL SPCA's Care of Norcrest Horses

Postby Pawtucket » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:43 am

From the Courier, "Steuben County's Largest Free Community Newspaper at
http://www.steubencourier.com/news/2008 ... e/002.html

QUOTE:
Hay Angels to the rescue
By ROB PRICE THE COURIER-ADVOCATE
Many groups coming to aid of seized horses

Photo caption: PHOTO PROVIDED A volunteer with The Maryland Hay Angels unloads bales of hay at a Mitchellsville farm that is providing foster care to horses seized by the Finger Lakes SPCA. The Hay Angels' donation accompanies $10,000 in grants from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to the Finger Lakes SPCA for care of the horses.

BATH — The Finger Lakes SPCA will receive a much-needed cash donation of $10,000 in the form of two $5,000 grants from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The funds are targeted for the care and feeding of 74 horses seized in August from a Troupsburg breeding farm.

SPCA Executive Director Vicki Mosgrove announced the grants last week.

To date, Mosgrove said in a prepared release, the agency has received $23,000 in financial contributions for the care of the horses, many of whom were on the verge of starving to death when they were seized by the agency. Additionally, the agency has received about $16,000 worth of donated hay, blankets and grain.

Mosgrove called the outpouring of support "phenomenal." At the same time, however, she noted the agency has spent nearly $25,000 for the care and feeding of the horses. "Horse care expenses at this moment are slightly outpacing incoming donations," she said.

The good news is that the 74 surviving horses under the supervision of the SPCA are improving in health and spirit.

"Some of the horses are even trotting about in their pasture and whinnying ... at the sight of their foster care provider," Mosgrove said. "Foals once weak and emaciated are now frisking about in their pens."

In addition to the local donations and the ASPCA grants, the local SPCA has received assistance from the Humane Society of Washington County, located in Hagerstown, Md. That agency, according to Mosgrove, recently was involved in a similar large-scale seizure of horses and is associated with a group calling itself The Maryland Hay Angels.

The group recently sent the Finger Lakes SPCA a large shipment of hay valued at nearly $3,000. The bales were divided between a horse farm in the Mitchellsville area and another farm in Livingston County. Both farms are caring for a total of 28 seized horses.

Geraldine Trupia, the operator of the Troupsburg horse farm, pleaded guilty last month to two counts of animal cruelty and is to be sentenced this month to two years on probation. Additionally, Trupia is to agree not to engage in any employment that involves the care of animals. She also will be required to make restitution to the SPCA through the Steuben County Probation Department and must submit to a psychological evaluation.
END QUOTE

Just a reminder, the identification of the horses is on-going. For anyone who might be able to help, there's an email address you can use: [email protected].

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:45 am

28 seized horses? What happen to the other 50 plus?

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Postby Hold Your Peace » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:56 am

Crystal wrote:28 seized horses? What happen to the other 50 plus?

I think the article meant that each of the farms receiving hay from this truckload was caring for 28 horses each so that totals 56 and then I guess the other 18 or so are scattered around at other farms where the hay truck did not stop because they didn't have as many fosters as the two farms with 28 each.

With all the financial need they have I notice that Gerry can apparently still afford internet access and a computer so I hope the courts are quite vigorous in collection proceedings after the sentencing.

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Maybe she is going to the library...the computers are free to use there.

Are there any before and after pictures available of the horses? The only pictures I can find online are of the same few horses.

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:00 am

aa
Last edited by Gerry on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 am

I guess we don't need to ask about the results of your psychological evaluation then do we.

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:53 am

I'm fine Jane..thanks for asking! How are you?

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:43 pm

I wish they weren't so far away.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

amanda1
Allowance Winner

Postby amanda1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:58 pm

Wanted to update...I am the former owner of Skipped Twice. I only had him for about 2 months, but he came to me directly from his trainer at the track. He came to me with a slab fracture in his right knee, approx one month after the injury occured. Skipped Twice was a b*#*! in his stall and to handle! Kicked first and looked second. Didn't help that he was on stall rest and is a stud, but definately not a great prospect for a first time OTTB owner.

I have contacted the SPCA inquiring about adopting him and bringing him back home. Not sure what I will do with the critter, but I feel I owe him a home.

I am NOT trying to create any trouble with this issue, just updating :oops: