Rock Hard Ten

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Nancy T
Allowance Winner

Rock Hard Ten

Postby Nancy T » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:44 am

edges out Imperialism! He sure is impressive!

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:33 pm

I do not think it was that convincing as Imperialism was the winner in one more stride and RHT has always looked to me as a horse of immense talent but not quite fixed upon the job at hand. Mandella really likes him but had to sweat out the photo. I thought little Castledale ran well until he tired.

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:43 pm

RHT needs to be gelded, but we all know that wont happen because of his future as a sire. but if he was a gelding he would be focused on track. but the $ lost by gelding him would never be recouped by racing him. what do you think ?

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:17 pm

Gelded? I can hear Sam & others passing out from here!

Actually, I think one problem with this horse is that he does not stay as well as his imposing physique and sire line might suggest, and the reason is his dam Tersa, who was a speedy juvenile and did not stay at all despite being a half sis to Gato Del Sol; she clearly took after the brilliant part of Mr. Prospector's genetics. Treat him as a potentially brilliant miler who can get 9f on class and I think you may be closer to the truth. (Of course, now that I've said that, watch him go win a 10f race against top company and make me eat crow! :D )
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:54 pm

Mahubah wrote:Gelded? I can hear Sam & others passing out from here!

Nah .. go ahead, geld him ... it'll mean he can't take KKris' mares :twisted:

Seriously though, I've thought for a while now that he should be gelded -- the attitude he displayed during the crown was enough to show me that -- but long ago recognized that he never would be. We're in need of a "name" to keep the Kris S. going at the higher end of the market and, while I have enough faith in KKris to think he could eventually take the old man's spot, I do not think the KY breeders are going to give him the chance.

Mahubah wrote:Actually, I think one problem with this horse is that he does not stay as well as his imposing physique and sire line might suggest, and the reason is his dam Tersa, who was a speedy juvenile and did not stay at all despite being a half sis to Gato Del Sol; she clearly took after the brilliant part of Mr. Prospector's genetics. Treat him as a potentially brilliant miler who can get 9f on class and I think you may be closer to the truth. (Of course, now that I've said that, watch him go win a 10f race against top company and make me eat crow! :D )

I think he's more like a brilliant 9f horse who causes his own problems at that distance.

I still see him being too much of a hindrance to himself because he's just too smart. Reminds me of Forego. I still think he could stay 10, but he's never been focused enough to do it. I'm hoping Mandella can fix his head problems. I never saw him having a problem going 9 (I'd been saying he was the Swaps winner for months prior to the race) but anything beyond that in open company was going to be tough.

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:22 pm

Hard to handle horses often make the best sires; for instance Nasrullah, Ribot, Deputy Minister, or Galopin.

-llbean

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:48 pm

been thinking.....great miler's usally make the best sire's so maybe im off base right now about gelding. though sam was correct.....his actions during triple crown run....well lets say he was a bad boy. :roll:

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:06 am

hi guys...

If Rock Hard Ten is the eyefull (in person) that he appears to be on screen...and an "intelligent" stud fee is in place...I expect that Rock Hard Ten will have plenty of appeal.

Although he's by no means a super-star race horse...I suggest he's done more than enough to justify a real opportunity...and he'll get it...

...it's just a matter of when and where he retires to stud.

Respectfully

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:17 pm

i will bet anything that mike paulson wont breed azeri to him....i kinda think he still cant stand step momma.... :lol: :wink:

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:38 pm

reenci wrote:i will bet anything that mike paulson wont breed azeri to him....i kinda think he still cant stand step momma.... :lol: :wink:

Even if he adored her, that would not be an advisable match

RHT is out of a Prospector mare, Azeri is by a Prospector stallion. Breed them and you get a 3x3 Prospector.

ick.

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:49 am

Besides... quite a bit of smart money will lay you odds that Paulson will sell Azeri (in-foal) in Keeneland November.

Sam

Postby Sam » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:59 am

RHT is going to be a hard stallion to breed to because Kris S. works well with precious few broodie lines and Prospector is his best nick. That's going to eliminate a lot of the better mares in KY because many of them are still 1st/2nd gen Prospectors themselves and 3x3 Prospector is a hard sell at the moment.

freddymo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby freddymo » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:51 am

Kal, Do you really think that Paulson is going to sell Azeri in foal to Storm Cat? If so why? Does he need the money? What do you think she would bring in foal to SC? My guess is not as much as you would think! I do not think more then 6 million. Jade Hunter is not exactly the hotest broodmare sire out there?

rascal
Maiden Special Weight

Postby rascal » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:39 pm

If only I could buy Azeri - now I'll have dreams about this! You really think she'll be sold in foal to SC? :?:

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:43 pm

Sorry to take so long to get back, I have been rather busy...

Personally, I thought all along that a sale would be the final result, but who am I and what do I know... however, some people who seem to always know what they are talking about have indicated that this is the plan, as long as Azeri gets in-foal.

To my knowledge, young Paulson does not have the interest in breeding that his father had. In fact, I am not sure he really has a huge interest in the business at all. Additionally, I'm not sure he has the desire to take part in the frustrations and time issues which come along with being a breeder.

The question doesn't become "why sell her?" but, rather, "why not?". The market has been hot for top broodmares and broodmare prospects, she is the biggest name out there, and there are uncertainties always inherent with broodmares. (for examples, see some of the other super-star fillies and mares that D.W.L. has trained... what did they produce.)

The market will be somewhat forgiving of her sire (Jade Hunter), because the late Mr. Paulson has proven that Jade Hunter can get quality. Additionally, while mating her to Mr. P-line stallions may be questionable, virtually any other line will work well. Personally, I would have liked to see her with A.P. Indy... but, perhaps there was some type of conformation concern. Of course, one can finish by simply saying... Jade Hunter nothing... this is AZERI. (By the way, you know every colt she throws will be heralded as a future sire... which adds value to her and them.)

Another thing to consider...ego... Azeri supported huge egos with her skills on track, don't think for one second these same egos wouldn't love to see her light up the tote board at Keeneland.... or be able to strut around Keeneland with anticipation of her lighting the board up.

Actually, while I am a breeder and would love to have a connection to a horse as talented as Azeri, I have to say that if she were mine, I would sell her. Kinda' a bird in the hand theory. Also, think of the mares and stud fees I could afford with that sum of money.