Reporting locked-in errors

General discussions about the technical aspects of the site -- generating reports, reading reports, uploading information, forum techniques, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

Pedigree Ann
Yearling

Reporting locked-in errors

Postby Pedigree Ann » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:12 pm

Why don't you have a button or something with large, friendly letters allowing one to directly 'contact the site administrators'? I was trying to update Storm Treasure after he won the Bonapaw S today (and incidentally, correct the other stakes results - he placed in the BC Turf sprint, not the dirt mile) and found his pedigree locked. Yet there is no obvious place to communicate my news. Even the message board headings are not particularly helpful.
There is no such thing as too much Teddy.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:08 pm

I can't do anything about helping contact site administrators, but I am able to update locked horses, and can be reached through this particular forum or the one for research requests. PMs are fine. too. With locked horses that are currently racing, you'll find that many of them are being tracked and updated by site researchers. We aren't always home when races are run, so give it a day or so before raising the alarm.

Storm Treasure was updated earlier this evening. Thank you for catching the error in his record. :)

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:17 am

Honestly the locked feature is really annoying me. I'm finding horses of all kinds locked up. Yet, some of the Classic winners are not locked as they allegedly all are. Meanwhile, horses of no note are inexplicably locked up.

So is ORIOLE 1874 (KINGFISHER X MY MARYLAND). I want to show that she has raced and won at least, and this is her record: 22 1-3-8/$750 for the year 1879.

Why is this horse locked? There's nothing special about her.

Never mind all the foundation mares and the like who are locked - while the pedigrees are wrong or whatever.

If this is really a free-for-all site, make it so. If not, lock up everything and let the people in charge do all the work putting info in.

In any case, here's a suggestion for the current situation. PUT A FLAG ON THE HORSES THAT ARE LOCKED SO WE DON'T WASTE TIME TRYING TO MODIFY, ONLY TO FIND AT THE END OF 10 PAGE LOADS WHICH SEEM TO INDICATE ALL IF FINE THAT HE'S LOCKED AND CAN'T BE CHANGED.

Sorry for the attitude, but I think these things have to be said. I'm just disgruntled. I love pedigrees and info and love being able to play with this stuff. It's a compulsion with me, so halting it sort of chafes on me!

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:38 am

Lucy and myself and other moderators and researchers have absolutely no control over or ability to alter the program specifics to do the type of things several of you are requesting. We (Lucy in this case, as I don't have access to the pedigree stuff) do our best to help out in any way we can, but please don't shoot (or yell at) the messenger! :)

Some "nondescript" horses have been locked due to malicious tampering of horses who are in some way related to horses owned by certain people here, or watched by certain people here, etc. Lucy can likely explain better why a particular horse may be locked, but I do know that several are locked simply because there are obnoxious people out there who will constantly mess with them if they're not. It's not always a matter of importance in general or what level they've won or raced at, but sometimes is a matter of just being sick of correcting the same horse over and over again.

It is annoying, but if everyone was honest and interested in creating an accurate database it wouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Please, however, don't yell at Lucy... if she were to become tired of being showered with grief over things she can't control and decide it's no longer worth her time, we'd all be in lots of trouble. :(
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:19 pm

Please do not misunderstand. I am not "yelling" at Lucy, or any of you, whom I know do not control software that controls this. You all do a good job of what you can do.

I am, however, very frustrated, and it needs to be said in no uncertain terms that will not be missed in a jumble of plain text (BTW, typing in caps is much faster than having to go back and properly hi-lite text for the "underline" or other modification). Perhaps if those who ARE involved in the underlying software would stumble upon this and some other threads, finally, they'd see the level of frustration. Maybe attention would be paid.

Bottom line, I know no-one of significance is "listening", so it's just getting that much more frustrating.