IDEA FOR COAT-COLOR BREEDERS

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Jorge

IDEA FOR COAT-COLOR BREEDERS

Postby Jorge » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:54 am

When one ponders on the importance of providing as much phenotypical (or even genetical) information as possible when choosing a horse's name, for the purpose of being as informational as possible for future breeding references, it makes me try to come up with short specific prefixes, suffixes and short keys that may help achieve that goal.

People have already invented great terms for implying coat color fashions
such as:

Chrome (for sabinos)
Blue (for grays)
Cream (for dilutes)
Red (for chestnuts)

yet I wonder if breeders of rare coat colors have ever thought of putting together a joint effort in pro of using an established short code of coat color terms for the sake of a more rapid identification within a pedigree.

I consider ingenious the idea that some breeders employ of using initials just before of after the official name of a horse such as "RFF" to imply a farm or a fashion. Extrapolating that idea, why not employ a unified very short terminology for identifying our "whites", "perlinos", "cremellos", "buckskins", "palominos" etc.

I would suggest the use of the following three-word preffix or suffix:

"Wyt" -- for unmaculated "whites"
"Why" -- for "stained whites"
"Per" -- for "perlinos"
"Cre" -- for "cremellos"
"Bok" -- for "buckskins"
"Pal" -- for "palominos"
"Ron" --for future use for authentic "Roans"
"Mak" -- for sabino marked solid colored sabinos, either bays, chestnuts,
browns, and blacks.

Lets put some name examples:

01. Happy Why, Why Brother (stained white Thoroughbreds)
02. Wyt Emperor, Benevolent Wyt (white Thoroughbreds)
03. Cindy's Per, Per Tony (perlino Thoroughbreds)
04. Flying Bok, Bok a Dime (buckskin Thoroughbreds)
05. Pal Cal, Pal Incredible (palomino Thoroughbreds)
06. Excelling Mak, Mak In Touch (sabino marked Thoroughbreds)
07. Wise Ron, Ron Perfection (genuine genetic roanThoroughbreds)

This is a suggestion for all our coat color breeders, but I am sure you can
come up with additional good ideas, refine the list and informally accord
a protocol. This way the names will have a color hint.

What do you think? Is this too compromising for you for the selection of the rest of the name? You still will have 14 spaces to invent the name!!

Would really appreciate your thoughts. Your voice is quite important here.

Thanks for your attention.

(p.s. When one examines the name of some of the ancestors of the dilutes it is a little somewhat difficult to rationalize how come did two normal bays sired a buckskin or a palomino.)

BlazingColours
Allowance Winner

Postby BlazingColours » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:34 pm

A neat idea! But that does really compromise breeders taking pride in creating a name. For example... my colt Simba Twist is a buckskin and a sabino. SO would he be Simba Twist Bok. Sounds silly...

I use my farm initials BCF when I can not get the name I want. Which is the same reason RFF started doing their that way.

Again neat idea but just not very practical... Would be soooo much easier if the JC made it a necessary part of registration to do a DNA colour test with the hairs that are sent in for the DNA test they already do. Then there is no question as to what colour a horse is. The JC can not argue it. One day maybe colours will be recorded properly on the papers. One day :roll:
Living life for the journey, not the destination.
Join us on FACEBOOK

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:25 am

Dear Blazing Colours,

Thank you so much for your comments. I agree 100% percent. The DNA idea is by far the best alternative, yet as the saying goes "while the axe comes and goes the tree rests". In other words, up until that moment comes (who knows when), if breeders could come across an abbreviated hinting naming technique that would help. Hmm, let me see if a shorter version can be applied, something like:

WK (white color)
SK (white-stained color)
BK (buckskin color)
PK (palomino color)
CK (cremello color)
RK (perlino color) (since the "P" is assigned then the next consonant)
MK (sabino-marked solid color)

Even the use of the letter "K" alone as a suffix could be indicative of phenotype.

Would like to read from all our coat color breeders about this issue. Whether you have other alternatives, or even if you think this is fruitless.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

color
Allowance Winner

Postby color » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:47 am

We do not have troubles over here with the color recording. I send in the paperwork with hair samples and apply for the correct color. The hair samples are sent to UC Davis (yes even Germany - due to the General Stud Book in UK rules - has to send to UC Davis) and once the color test is back, the correct color is noted. Our Frame Overos are Frame Overos on the papers and the correct color is noted too. I guess they are happy as they avoid to write down a ton of white "markings" that way. I have two cremellos, one changed from Palomino to Cremello (RFF the Alchemist ) and one cremello from the beginning (Goldmaker GF). Actually I have sent in the application for my dark buckskin filly by Guaranteed Gold out of Shew and hope the papers come with the correct color "buckskin". She will be bred this spring to The Alchemist and if we get a Perlino or Smoky Cream, we have the next color to apply for... :P
http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabs

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:07 pm

01. WK (white color)
02. SK (white-stained color)
03. BK (buckskin color)
04. PK (palomino color)
05. CK (cremello color)
06. RK (perlino color) (since the "P" is assigned then the next consonant)
07. MK (sabino-marked solid color)
08. YK (Smoky-Cream Color) :D :D :D

This topic deals with a preocupation many breeders have. How about reading your opinions? :D :D :D

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:35 am

Hummmm, With WB breeding it is comen to put farm initials behind a name, with Arabs in front. When more of the sabino and white foals get to the track, I think an initial with the name might cause descriminating against that horse right off the bat, prompting the public/betters to be shy of supporting the horse in that race. I think it would be so much fun to bet on a horse named (for instance only folks) HELIODORIS just based on pedigree and past work outs. Then when he wins, maybe they would look up his name and find that it means "Gift From The Sun". I vote to keep names very "color" orientated if possible, but not for standardizing them. Personally I always check out names of TB's that have color words in them, just to see if they have a pic and see if they are in my little black book of color producers.