Storm Cat: opinions on this angle

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Jorge

Storm Cat: opinions on this angle

Postby Jorge » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:40 pm

While reading here at the “Stallions” section the following thread:
“Storm Cat to be QH sire”
( http://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/view ... 820#204820 )
the following query came to my mind:

Is it possible to employ Storm Cat as a sire with a few Thoroughbred mares, at a reduced non-guaranteed price, with the understanding that the resulting foal will only serve as a future sire or broodmare and will not run? I think that breeders of Thoroughbred horses of flamboyant colors may be interested. After all, he has proven an affinity with sabino-ness.

Opinions?

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:04 pm

Not a chance. The Jockey Club is not going to change the rules at this point.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:46 pm

I am not referring to permitting artificial insemination Thoroughbred foals from him, but to employ him as a limited covering sire, but with no guarantees at all for the remaining time of his life, and for a very nominal reduced fee.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:51 pm

I like it, just don't have any colored mares old enough. :?

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:58 pm

Better yet, let them put STORM CAT, and other living greats in a "GENE BANK" and clone them one day if the rules ever change that the resulting foal would be registerable. Other horse breeds already allow it!

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:24 pm

If he was a private stallion they would probably let him cover a few mares just to see if they would catch (it kind of depends on what is causing his infertility) but he is owned by a syndicate I believe which means WHOSE mares would be the lucky ones? But even some private stallions I've seen have been retired even with really good foals on the ground still running. It's like it's a reward for a stallion to be pensioned but I suspect most stallions would disagree! (there are some that would not of course). Now for a MARE... :P
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.