Wobbler syndrome

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Strategic Maneuver
Starters Handicap

Postby Strategic Maneuver » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:22 am

Nice Tony Soprano impersonation, but here in the US, basket surgery is usually the only option for wobblers.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:13 am

When my filly was diagnosed with Wobblers the basket surgery was offered as the only option. In my filly's case her vertebrae spacing caused spinal pressure leading to hind end atrophy. I don't think there is any empirical evidence, to my knowledge, a vitamin supplement or any type of massaging will allow appropriate vertebrae spacing to occur that would eliminate pressure on the spine causing said atrophy.

If there is, I have yet to discover it.

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:58 am

zinn, the protocol for the Vitamin B & C, and selenium is specifically mentioned in Rose and Hodgson's "Manual for Equine Practice" veterinary textbook. I'm not a vet, but I bought a copy because my own vet recommended it to me, since she knew I would know most of the medical and anatomic terms used. It is an outstanding book for reading about every aspect of diagnosis and treatment of horses, if you can understand the terms (which can be daunting!), and I highly recommend it to all horse enthusiasts.

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Equine-Pra ... 214&sr=8-1

But as I said, Dr. Rose also emphatically says it does not work on wobblers more than one year old, and it has a low percentage of effectiveness, as wobbling is a diagnosis that is often uncurable. He doesn't seem to endorse it heartily. But I can only assume that any treatment protocol published in a veterinary textbook which is otherwise very conservative in standard treatment protocols would indeed have had a peer-reviewed study done before it was an accepted practice. Massage is not mentioned, and neither are any chiropractic solutions. So I am reasonably sure that any manual manipulation could not be effective.

Wobblers can have periods of getting better and getting worse, so I am holding my breath about my own colt. The farm told me that he was very, very bad before they put him on The Diet. He is certainly capable right now of walking, trotting, and loping. I've seen him rear up quite a few times lately playing with other horses over the fence (I have him confined still for his own safety). Most importantly, he no longer looks like he has a headache all the time anymore. His ears are pricked up instead of lopping down. I really think this colt might be growing out of it, so where I started out as a complete non-believer, I now think that it is definitely worth a try to see if your horse can be one of the minority of patients who will recover.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Well, just to close the loop, this particular colt was put down this past weekend. He continued to deteriorate over the last month. Decided to give him the EPM meds to see if they would generate any improvement but no luck. Sad to see. Thanks to all who advised.

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:22 pm

Sorry to hear that, ct. It's true that they can be a real danger to those around them when they cannot stabilize themselves. I'm glad you gave us the update; I would have wondered. I'm sure your friend did the right thing. :(
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:04 am

Sorry to hear that.. but it was probably the best thing for the colt.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:28 am

Sorry to hear-the toughest part of this business.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:51 am

I'm sorry the outcome wasn't better. Condolances for your loss.

mergie
Yearling

Postby mergie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:06 pm

It is a horrible, heart breaking problem. Surgery is often the only option.

http://www.equinewobblers.com/

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:02 am

We only had one wobbler out of a mare with 10 healthy foals, including 5 full siblings. This one presented mildly at one, and was euthanized at two as she started falling over.

Not Impossible was a full bro to
1998 PERFECT SOUL (IRE),c,Sadler's Wells 2 12 5 2 0 756,275 (108) 27.58
IN CANADA (since 2003) 1 3 1 1 1 379,940
DP = 11-8-26-9-0 DI = 1.45 CD = 0.39 AWD = 9.00
At 4 2nd Niagara Breeders' Cup Handicap -G1 (324,400)
At 5 Won Shadwell Turf Mile S. -G1 (600,000), King Edward Breeders' Cup
Handicap -G2 (336,600), 2nd Chinese Cultural Centre S. -G2 (330,900),
Citgo Dixie S. -G2 (200,000), 3rd Atto Mile S. -G1 (1,000,000)

He reportedly had his spine fused and went to stud. I am not sure how many mares he covered, but he did sire Not Bourbon who won the Queen's Plate last year. On the pedigree query info, it says he died in Jan 2005, but I don't know how or why. I just know this through heresay. Perhaps someone on here knows more. I was amazed he could cover a mare, but I never saw him.

mergie
Yearling

Postby mergie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:53 am

I know there are horses winning stakes races, competing in other sports after wobblers surgery. No guarantees of course. And on top of the cost of surgery there is lay-up and rehab.

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Would you breed to a stallion who had basket surgery? Is there a likelihood that something might get passed down to his progeny? What questions do I need to ask?