No need to breed to high $ studs? Look at Greater Good's dam

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Keith
Grade III Winner

No need to breed to high $ studs? Look at Greater Good's dam

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

This mare has an intersting produce record.

Gather the Clan by General Assembly-What a Summer by What Luck

1.Greater Good by Intidab-Gather the Clan by General Assembly won Kentucky JC-G2,KyCupJuv-G3 won $226,275 favorite for Saturday's Southwestern S. Intidab stands for $3500 in NY
2, Gather the Day by Dayjur-Gather the Clan by General Assembly won $245,908 15 starts 7 wins 2nd Marshua's River S. Dayjur stands for $5,000 in Ky.
3. Keen Talent by Halo-Gather the Clan by General Assembly won $182,612 racing in Hong Kong
4. Launch the Clan by Relaunch-Gather the Clan by General Assembly won $14,575 sold for $175,000 in 1992
5. Ashely's Clan by Seattle Slew-Gather the Clan by General Assembly 12 starts 1 win 0 places 0 shows won $10,300
6. Gatherindy by A.P. Indy-Gather the Clan by General Assembly 3 starts and made no money.
7. Swift Girl by Unbridled-Gather the Clan by General Assembly unplaced in 1 start.
8. Wonder Lady by Deputy Minister-Gather the Clan by General Assembly winner of $640 in 4 starts
9. Classky J by Sky Classic-Gather the Clan by General Assembly winner of 9 races in 70 starts and won $47,178

Isn't something her best foals are by the least expensive studs and she was bred to the likes of Seattle Slew, A.P. Indy, Unbridled, Deputy Minister, Relaunch, and Halo.

It sure is odd to see a mare not produce when bred to great studs but produce good runners when bred studs that are affordable. I just thought her produce record was interesting. I believe in breeding to the best studs that you can afford because the better the stud that you breed to the better chance you will have of having a runner but it did not work with this mare. What would she have produced if bred to Mr. Prospector? Who knows.

Keith

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:59 pm

hi Keith,

You ask "What would she (Gather the Clan) have produced if bred to Mr. Prospector?"

Keith...I suggest that Gather the Clan is pretty special herself...and as you indicated, produced her stakes horses from the covers to some "affordable" (as you wrote) stallions.

As you know...Mr P proved time-and-again that he could sire a super-star out of everything from an ordinary mare...to a champion and/or super-star producer etc etc etc...and everything in between.

As a matter of interest...GtC's stakes horses (Greater Good and Gather the Day) were both by stallions with Mr. P close-up (Intidab is out of a Mr. Prospector daughter...and Dayjur is out of champion Gold Beauty (also by Mr Prospector).

All Things Considered...I expect that the possibility was certainly good that a Mr P out of GtC would have been a good one.

Mr. Prospector could make dreams come true...and he did regularly.

Respectfully

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:11 pm

FOS wrote:hi Keith,

You ask "What would she (Gather the Clan) have produced if bred to Mr. Prospector?"

Keith...I suggest that Gather the Clan is pretty special herself...and as you indicated, produced her stakes horses from the covers to some "affordable" (as you wrote) stallions.

As you know...Mr P proved time-and-again that he could sire a super-star out of everything from an ordinary mare...to a champion and/or super-star producer etc etc etc...and everything in between.

As a matter of interest...GtC's stakes horses (Greater Good and Gather the Day) were both by stallions with Mr. P close-up (Intidab is out of a Mr. Prospector daughter...and Dayjur is out of champion Gold Beauty (also by Mr Prospector).

All Things Considered...I expect that the possibility was certainly good that a Mr P out of GtC would have been a good one.

Mr. Prospector could make dreams come true...and he did regularly.

Respectfully

Who would you say are his greatest hopes to carry on the "gene pool" at a decent price today?