contacting breeder of my OTTB

Ask members to help you find horse pictures, past performances, past owners/trainers, or tracks where a horse won it's last race.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy, Diane

Cree
Eclipse Champion

contacting breeder of my OTTB

Postby Cree » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:25 am

I would like some thoughts or opinions on what breeders think of being contacted by (a complete stranger) who owns a horse they bred.

I "inherited" a wonderful ex-racehorse in August and am very familiar with his pedigree and his race record (I worked with him at the track). I researched his dam and found pictures on the internet of her. My gelding looks just like her but he's a chestnut (dam is a bay).

I would love to see foal pictures of my gelding.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:29 pm

I am sure that they will be delighted to hear from you with an update on the horse especially now that it has a good second home,I know that I would be.

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:44 am

I love hearing from people who have horses we have bred or even just trained and have never met a breeder who doesn't feel the same way. I have been thrilled to see these horses show up at horse shows, eventing, in backyards, where ever. I can likely supply baby pictures and have the dam, and maybe even second and third dam! Don't be shy. :)

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:10 am

Well, thank you for the encouraging replies. I will try my hardest to contact his breeder. He's such a wonderful horse, and I am so proud to own him.

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:50 pm

I would personally be delighted to hear from you. I've contacted major farms that could care less, Golden Eagle in particular. On the other hand, the farm manager at Harris Farms remembers every horse. Old English Rancho was very friendly, but also rushed off the phone as fast as possible while I was still taking a breath for the next question. All you can do is try. I'll bet almost all small breeders would be happy to hear from you. An old friend of mine once heard from guy in Malaysia that had bought an old horse of his. It can be fun.

One thing I have to say is that horsemen are notorious for not calling you back even to say the heck with you, leave me alone. They've never heard of courtesy! Don't give them too much information if you have to leave a message. Try to say something cryptic: "I'd like some information about a horse you haaa for sale," slurring a bit over the "haaa" so it can be "have" or "had." If I leave a three minute message like: "Um, this is Jane Doe, I bought a mare from a feedlot that I think used to belong to you. I was wondering if you could give me any information about her, like what color her foals have been, I'd really appreciate it," forget it, they'll never call you back. If I said, "Hi, this is Jane Doe calling you about some breeders awards you may have coming to you," they'll be on the phone in 20 seconds.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

Susan09
Weanling

Postby Susan09 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 pm

I'd love to hear from someone who has a horse I bred and who now has a loving home. Any horse we have sold, we have always asked the people to keep in contact with us. I think it even makes more valuable to them, knowing that the breeder really does care about them. Good Luck with your contact. Don't give up, horsemen are notorious about getting back to people on phone calls.