Question about rescues

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Vindicated
Allowance Winner

Question about rescues

Postby Vindicated » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:32 am

Need opinions....
My husband and I have set aside money in our budget every month to give to animals....I normally stuff it in the Humane Society donation buckets at the pet stores, but I would like to start giving to some horse rescues...its not big money, but every little bit helps-right?

I am also looking for no-kill pet shelters to donate too (Michigan-preferably)....

Any ideas?
I was thinking I would pick a few and rotate every few months?

skywatcher
Maiden Special Weight

Postby skywatcher » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:08 am

rotating your donations sounds like a great idea...there are so many organizations in need out there.

I would suggest that you pick rescues you can go visit and don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. Sadly there are a lot of scammers out there.
A legit rescue is happy to have visitors and explain their programs and policies.
A 501(C) registered charity is not a guarantee that they are a legit rescue. All it means is they filed the proper paperwork with the gov't

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 am

contact Thoroughbred charities of america.. I think its tca.com

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:20 pm

TRF is a good one - Thoroughbred Retirement Fund. I'd avoid the ones that are almost like scams, that have adoption "fees" at or above the market price of an outright purchase for the horses "in their care." Or the "rescues" that won't take the horse or feed it, only list it on their site for "adoption."
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:47 pm

Friends of Ferdinand would be my top choice... but it's not in Michigan. :)
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

Vindicated
Allowance Winner

Postby Vindicated » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:39 am

Thanks guys....

I am open to any horse charity, but am looking for No kill cat & dog charities in Michigan...to clarify that..it was a bit murky in my original post.

nferro9925
Grade III Winner

Postby nferro9925 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:37 pm

If you use google search you can also go to goodsearch.com
and actual choose a charity that gets a donation with each search
conducted.

It's a lot of fun and you help some with no cash outlay.

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:06 pm

Michigan CANTER used to do a phenomenal job. Saved tons upon tons of MI TBs. Assume they still do a good job.

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:49 am

There are a lot of scammers out there. One thing to ask is what percentage of their donations is spent on administrative expenses. The Exceller Fund had something like 3% expenses, and 97% went to horses in need.

I avoid the horse charities that send me the mass mailings that look like every other mass mailing you've gotten. Too much time and money spent on raising money. I want to give to people who know how to hold a lead rope.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

Derring
Starters Handicap

Postby Derring » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:02 pm

I can tell you first hand that REMEMBER ME is completely legit for horse rescue. There's another thread that has links with videos and newspaper articles.

Good for you! I understand your delima with whom to choose. I used to feel guilty about not donating to human charities, but only to animal ones. But I think the truth is that some people are put on this earth to help the animals.
"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
-----George Eliot

Tbird
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Tbird » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:33 pm

Derring, I agree. People can help themselves to a greater extent than animals can and also the government helps people.