Wow! Vallenzeri actually sold for $1.9 Million???!!!

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Firebrand
Maiden Special Weight

Wow! Vallenzeri actually sold for $1.9 Million???!!!

Postby Firebrand » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:35 pm

From the Blood-Horse:

Vallenzeri has a new home!

Trainer Bob Baffert, acting on behalf of Kaleem Shah, purchased the chestnut colt for
$1.9 million early in the opening session of the Keeneland sale of 2-year-olds in training April 6.

By Horse of the Year A.P. Indy and the first foal out of Horse of the Year Azeri,
Vallenzeri set a world Thoroughbred auction record when he was a $7.7-million buy-back
at the 2008 Keeneland September yearling auction.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... 19-million

I guess the new trustees for Allen Paulson's living trust are serious about selling horses.

hpkingjr

sale

Postby hpkingjr » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:47 pm

We went to watch tonight and I thought some very nice horses sold pretty cheap. Some had trouble bringing their original stud fee. People who were buying picked up some bargains.

imnumberjuan
Allowance Winner

Postby imnumberjuan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:11 pm

What a difference 6 months makes... I wonder about the 7.7 million buyback.
Gotta keep on Keepin on - Joe Dirt

Monmouth Matt
Allowance Winner

Re: sale

Postby Monmouth Matt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:42 am

hpkingjr wrote:We went to watch tonight and I thought some very nice horses sold pretty cheap. Some had trouble bringing their original stud fee. People who were buying picked up some bargains.

Hip 66 only brought $25k. Vindication o/o a real nice producing mare. Must have looked awfully bad in person to only fetch $25k....any thoughts?
And DOWN the stretch they come!

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:36 am

Monmouth Matt wrote:
hpkingjr wrote:We went to watch tonight and I thought some very nice horses sold pretty cheap. Some had trouble bringing their original stud fee. People who were buying picked up some bargains.

Hip 66 only brought $25k. Vindication o/o a real nice producing mare. Must have looked awfully bad in person to only fetch $25k....any thoughts?

Or didn't Xray or scan clean.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:46 am

Sysonby wrote:
Monmouth Matt wrote:

Or didn't Xray or scan clean.

She looked fine in person. I'm with Sysonby; there had to be other issues.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:47 am

imnumberjuan wrote:What a difference 6 months makes... I wonder about the 7.7 million buyback.

The main difference is that this number is real money bid by a real person, and the 7.7M from September wasn't.

Daisy Jal Dastur
Allowance Winner

Postby Daisy Jal Dastur » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:23 am

LB wrote:
imnumberjuan wrote:What a difference 6 months makes... I wonder about the 7.7 million buyback.

The main difference is that this number is real money bid by a real person, and the 7.7M from September wasn't.

Interesting and true.... wonder what the 'real' bidding for him was last September?!

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:08 am

Daisy Jal Dastur wrote:
LB wrote:

Interesting and true.... wonder what the 'real' bidding for him was last September?!

The live money appeared to end around the upper middle of the reserve.

Daisy Jal Dastur
Allowance Winner

Postby Daisy Jal Dastur » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:39 pm

If that was the case, they may have been better off selling him last year!

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:03 pm

I got that update on my Blackberry, and I didn't see the point between 1 and 9, so I thought he sold for $19 million. I was absolutely stunned, couldn't believe they didn't learn a lesson from The Green Monkey. :D Laughed my head off when I saw it was only $1.9 million later. Who knows if there was really a $7.5 million underbidder before, or whether it was shilled up that high. Guess we'll never know.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

imnumberjuan
Allowance Winner

Postby imnumberjuan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:20 pm

well times are tough - the credit markets crashed after Keeneland Sept sale did they not?
Gotta keep on Keepin on - Joe Dirt

Danzig
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Danzig » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:41 pm

If you needed credit, he wasn't worth 7.7M.....Is it me, or does Jr look like some sort of inbred?
*edited for language

Playwithfire
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Playwithfire » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:20 pm

Its called an Epic fail. How do you pass up $7.7 million? Obviously you take $1.9mn, but to have a reserve over $7mln is absurd. The probability that a horse makes more than $7 mln in his lifetime is extremely low. Its either greed or vanity. Or both.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:34 am

Playwithfire wrote:

Its called an Epic fail. How do you pass up $7.7 million? Obviously you take $1.9mn, but to have a reserve over $7mln is absurd. The probability that a horse makes more than $7 mln in his lifetime is extremely low. Its either greed or vanity. Or both.

The $7 million was a fantasy that never existed. They may have passed up $3 million with that stunt last year depending where the live money ended. After that, they were like the boy who cried wolf and no one (except evidently Baffert and his client) put effort into acquiring the colt which probably further depressed the price this time around.