Texas horse herd seized

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Vindicated
Allowance Winner

Postby Vindicated » Fri May 22, 2009 11:38 am

If we are voting-
I agree that while it is still current news, this and like threads should stay in general.
Therefore people who choose to read it, can read it and possible send donations.

This is a THOROUGHBRED forum, therefore their welfare is of GENERAL intrest.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Fri May 22, 2009 3:26 pm

One correction to my post above: the Hearing I spoke of as being scheduled for this coming Tuesday was actually held this past Tuesday, the 19th.

At that time the Court did award posession or ownership of the horses to True Blue/etc. - probabally on behalf of or as an extension of the Hopkins County Animal Welfare authorities. These rescues/shelter operations now have the responsibility to: feed/water/groom/vet/farrier and evaluate for further/additional health needs and for future use/suitability while trying to find proper placements for the 57 horses. That's a lot of foster farms/homes to locate as T-Bar's farm is not set up to take on this many additional horses longterm and that's a lot of vet meds (wormers, etc.) and feet trimmings, etc. not to mention hay and water.

I will find out more over the Memorial Day weekend and update as I find out more information.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Fri May 22, 2009 3:35 pm

Oh and one more thing - I'm with Vindicated on the suggestion that posts on the subject of thoroughbred horse welfare which make us aware of efforts to provide humane care to thoroughbreds in trouble or the threat of harm are of 'General' concern and belong to be posted there not here. IF people want to overlook such posts it is easy enough to do as it is to skip over almost subject - or poster - one does not care for.

Bunty Lawless
Allowance Winner

Postby Bunty Lawless » Fri May 22, 2009 11:51 pm

jellac wrote:Oh and one more thing - I'm with Vindicated on the suggestion that posts on the subject of thoroughbred horse welfare which make us aware of efforts to provide humane care to thoroughbreds in trouble or the threat of harm are of 'General' concern and belong to be posted there not here. IF people want to overlook such posts it is easy enough to do as it is to skip over almost subject - or poster - one does not care for.

Thanks for both posts Jellac. I read in the horse newsletter that the complaint was filed in January and authorities brought the private rescues into it. It amazes me how long it takes to get to the point of getting the animals away from the abusers.

As for where a news discussion should be placed, news is news, IMO. Gosh, The Horse had it as a top 5 story. Anything that is active news about horses, should be considered "General" and active, until such time it needs to be filed/archived. General is considered the front page here, isn't it? Even newspapers don't file news stories, of importance to the general public, under specific topics. Only exception is regular or serial type of topics.

Otherwise, there is some heavy duty filing needed in the General Index, starting with Citronade died. Isn't there an obituary index? :wink: And shouldn't the newsflash about Buckpond be under Breeding?

Vindicated
Allowance Winner

Postby Vindicated » Sat May 23, 2009 8:26 am

And the thread got moved anyway...

WHY?

Can one of the moderators give me good reason?

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat May 23, 2009 1:29 pm

Why would they have to explain themselves to you? Are you anyone in authority to question why the thread got moved?

Bunty Lawless
Allowance Winner

Postby Bunty Lawless » Sat May 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Georgerz wrote:Why would they have to explain themselves to you? Are you anyone in authority to question why the thread got moved?

Why do you seem to complain about everything? Why shouldn't someone's question be answered? Your comment was pretty rude.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat May 23, 2009 7:45 pm

To each one his/her own.