Help with tattoo

Ask members about Thoroughbred lineage and other related information.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Lucy

npauley
Newborn

Help with tattoo

Postby npauley » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi all,

A newbie here. I have recently aquired a thoroughbred gelding here in VA. The couple I got him from said they didn't have any paperwork, but he is 23 years old. They used to live in PA and bought him there some years ago.
I lifted his lip and low and behold...there is a tattoo. Very hard to make out but if he is 23 it looks like O07793 (or maybe 2 instead of 3). He is a dark bay/brown gelding. Almost no white on him at all (one foot) and goes by Blue. Can anyone help us with some research? It would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thank you!!
Nancy
in VA.

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Nancy, you have to pay the Jockey Club to get tattoo research done, unfortunately. Here's the link:

http://www.tjcis.com/otherServicesDisplay.asp?section=3

Be advised that 4's sometimes look like 9's. If you have the approximate age and color, they can usually narrow down the search for you if there is some uncertainty in the numbers. The tattoo desk does not have any access to markings records, unfortunately, and dark bays are common, but they can usually help you. It's $35, but it is fun to kniow their name. i'd urge you tio go for it! Once you have the name, you can get the horse's entire race record, who his trainer was, etc.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

Tbird
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Tbird » Mon May 25, 2009 2:31 pm

I just saw this thread and I have had the tattoo research done by the JC so how does one go about finding out the above mentioned info, i.e., race record, trainer, etc?
I know that my horse had three starts, no win, place, or show, but I'd love to know where and with whom.
Thanks in advance!
Karen

CountRaja
Maiden Special Weight

Postby CountRaja » Mon May 25, 2009 3:00 pm

For what it's worth the tattoo number O07793 comes back as Friendly Advocator, a May 7, 1985 dkb/b horse by Advocator out of Fast Friend (IRE).

2 starts, unplaced

Foaled in FL and bred by Mr & Mrs. Donald C. Enderle

However, the tattoo O07792 comes back as Hi Siss a April 30, 1985 bay gelding by High Counsel out of Siss Boom Bahaa

1 start, unplaced

Foaled in FL and with the same breeders as above.
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.