Unwanted Horse Study

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Bedouwia
Restricted Stakes Winner

Unwanted Horse Study

Postby Bedouwia » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:12 am

Of course we knew this, but the report is in

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ted-horses

I can say that in Texas it is really getting much worse. We have had a severe drought for three years in central Texas, making hay hard to find and expensive. Our racing is struggling to survive. And of course the economy is not booming. Horses pay the price in many cases.

Bedouwia

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:13 pm

You know its sad Nevada goes down in flames for horse cruelty, there was an article today on a horse owner carving in a brand on the horses hide and left him there to die. There is alot of horse abondonment in this area. And yet people cheer on the Wild Horse Races as if there not something of a sick joke.
We have so many stragling horses in this state, its terrible.
People should be responible for this.
Karen

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Some of the proposed solutions: " ... reopen the U.S. processing plants, and increase options and resources for euthanizing and disposing of unwanted horses.", which is anathema for a good number of people.

Can you imagine dear Flicka ending up as prime steak in a european restaurant, or worse yet, in an Alpo can?

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:47 pm

I answered the questions in that survey and in my opinion, it was a push-poll, meaning the questions were formed in a manner to achieve a desired result. I wish I would have kept a copy of them so I could quote it exactly, but I remember that there were at least two questions where the most obvious answer for a responsible horse lover was not one of the options to choose. I knew right then that the "results" of the poll would determine that, darn it, we just need those slaughter plants to help these horses. :(
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

jrgators
Starters Handicap

Postby jrgators » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:14 pm

Not to start the slaughter debate, but a great question was asked of me by a friend, why not just put the horse down instead of making him into french cheese burger things? I had to stop and think about it, I hate to see "food" wasted, but we're really stressed over a couple of hundred bucks in reality.

I hate to see these horses done so poorly, and I don't know what the "right" answer is, but I hope we can figure out a way to let our animals live and die with dignity!

Theo

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:05 am

jrgators wrote:Not to start the slaughter debate, but a great question was asked of me by a friend, why not just put the horse down instead of making him into french cheese burger things? I had to stop and think about it, I hate to see "food" wasted, but we're really stressed over a couple of hundred bucks in reality.

I hate to see these horses done so poorly, and I don't know what the "right" answer is, but I hope we can figure out a way to let our animals live and die with dignity!

Theo

Nor do I, but where I am from it is not a few hundred bucks, more like $500 per horse to have the vet come euthanize and deadstock come and remove. The same horse at the lowest point would fetch around $400 at a kill auction. :( For those who need to lower the numbers of many, this adds up fast. Many are send to auction hoping everyone is there for an old broodmare, broke down or untrained horse for a companion or project, rather than a trained show horse for $700, but often slaughter would be better than the kind of home some of these get. :(

Tbird
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Tbird » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:00 pm

Wow, Fair Play, where do you live? $500 to euth and remove horse? We had to euth one about 3 years ago and it was under $100 for euth and the deadstock guy charged exactly $10. This is in SW MO. It may be more now with higher gas prices, etc., but still I bet not near $500.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:14 pm

It is not cheap here in KY. The vet is $150 and the livestock haulaway company is $250.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:41 pm

I am in Canada. Deadstock removal used to be free. The vet charges a call fee of $50, a mobile fee of $50 and a euthanization fee of $200,-- more if it is an emergency or after hours. Then deadstock is another $100 cash or the animal won't be lifted. Tough luck if it is Christmas Day on a Sat. He'll not be there until Monday. I have buried the odd foal, but never a big horse. The deadstock company here is incredibly obnoxious too. I had to dig back years for a cancelled cheque to get them to remove a client's horse. They mistakenly thought I hadn't paid them last time. They were not apologetic when I told them that I paid on the spot the last time too. I refused to put money in a jar by the corpse as requested as I wanted a receipt. They are the only option around here. I don't judge the odd person for putting one through auction rather than dealing with it, though we can sit back and say they should. :(

jrgators
Starters Handicap

Postby jrgators » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:31 am

I wrote my statement actually just guessing, but I'm going to check with my vet tomorrow and ask what it would cost to have one put down and hauled away from the vet clinic, and the cost for them to come to my place and do it. I know that it's $85.00 farm call for me regardless to why, and how many horses treated for whatever.

I know oneday I'll have to face putting down one of our horses, but thank God I haven't had to face that yet!

Theo

Strategic Maneuver
Starters Handicap

Postby Strategic Maneuver » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:58 pm

I have a $50 farm call fee, $200 euthanasia, $300 for backhoe and burial. Not sure of the cost of valium that I need afterward.

jrgators
Starters Handicap

Postby jrgators » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:04 pm

OK,

I checked with my vet today, and actually with 2 different vet offices, and they were about the same price. $100 to put the horse down, $150 to dispose of the horse, $85 additional dollars if they have to come to the farm and do it.

So $250 if I take them to the vet.

Is that better than taking them to the killer? You decide what's best for you, but I think I'd rather put my guys down if I can't find them a home.

Now if the vet can get me a 15% discount on Jack Daniels after I have to do it, that would really help!!! :lol:

Theo

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:42 pm

jrgators wrote:Is that better than taking them to the killer? You decide what's best for you, but I think I'd rather put my guys down if I can't find them a home.
Theo

I am sure everyone feels the same way. I just think the reason why you see horses at auction with very little value in Canada, especially near Toronto, is that it will cost $500 a piece to put them down and have them removed. If they can fetch $450 - $500 at auction, they are not at a killers as that is more than most 1000 pound horses are worth there. I think when someone has 10 to sell, can't get the money for them to know they are safe, they are not in the position to cough up $5000. :(

jrgators
Starters Handicap

Postby jrgators » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:01 pm

You make a good argument with 10 horses! I also checked, and 3 different vet clinics in my area have 3 different prices, and the varied wildly. $250-$435 per horse. That's with the body hauled off....add about 200-300 more if you want to bury them at the farm!

I hate this part about the business, but it's just as real as foal dates, and win pictures!

Theo

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:14 am

All you need to do is shoot them yourselves. and bury them.
We had to do that to three of our horses a while back. Vet couldnt make it out to the place.
One bullet = a few cents??
Unless your living in the city where you cant shoot them