When to Halter Break

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

griff
Leading Sire

When to Halter Break

Postby griff » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:37 pm

How early can you put a leather halter on a foal?

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:33 am

I put a foal halter on them within the first 24 hours. Leather, best to use the ones with rivets so they break easy. Important not to just clip the leadline onto the halter though. They're led from the very first day with long cotton lead clipped to halter and wrapped around butt, with both ends in one hand and the other hand used to guide the backside. Always led with me on one side and baby sandwiched between me and the mare.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:11 am

There is a good book published by Western Horseman about Imprint training, and it breaks it down into day 1, day 2, etc. You will be happy later that you did this and don't end up with two wildass yearlings like the ones in my barn I am overwintering for a friend. Just got halters on them last week :(
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Pie™
2yo Maiden

Postby Pie™ » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:55 pm

Within the first hour. Obviously, you don't ever leave a halter on a foal, but you should get it on, start getting them used to it right away. It also helps when you've got to help the little bugger stand and nurse to feel your hand on the halter guiding him. It is after all, what he's going to have to live with for the rest of his life.

We also do things in the first hours like touch them everywhere you will ever want to comfortably be able to touch them. So, with disinfected hands, we go into their ears, up their nose, touch their genitals, under their tail, down their legs and so on and so on. We pick them straight off the ground, several times a day in the first week or two, as well. You'll be surprised, but within a few seconds, they will lay their heads back and "give up" and then, it is my experience, for the rest of their lives they remember this and think that you can still do it. It creates tremendous respect for the handler in future dealings.
On day one, weather permitting, they're out being taught to lead, (mom is usually off line and will follow right along, helping to maintain their forward motion). They are also put on the trailer, brought into the main barn, in and out of stalls, standing as though on crossties, where we groom (we never actually put them on this young) but we will pull out the tack box while their standing there and groom them, again, all over.

By the end of the first week, we've done this several times a day, in 10 minute increments, varying the routine and we start up with things like, walking by the loud tractor, the pick up truck running, the spreader (you get the picture), walking down the road, past cars, banging on mailboxes, etc etc.
If you do this consistently for the first 30 days, you will end up with a well adjusted, easy to handle youngster that learns to trust that though things may be scary - you will not let him/her get hurt by these things.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:02 pm

Why not leave the halter on the foal?

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:38 pm

They can get hung up and injure themselves... same as why we turn all ours out minus halters, and halters are not worn in stalls.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:16 am

I leave the halter on. Start with a suckling halter and make sure it fits closely and just check it regularly so you can expand it as the baby grows. Within about 30 days you'll need to switch to foal halter. When you buy the ones with rivets, if he gets it caught on anything it will break easily. By leaving it on, I never have any trouble catching baby in the stall or when in the pasture with Mom and they learn quickly that once you have your hands on them they can't get away.

Jenarby
Allowance Winner

Postby Jenarby » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:37 pm

I put a halter on my filly on day 2. Whenever I was in the stall doing something with the mare or baby, she wore it. I never really had to do the rope around the butt thing with her. I tried to make leading HER idea. Bringing them in and out from the pasture, I clipped a lead on and lead momma too. As baby follwed, I would give and take just slight pressure. It was always her idea (or so she thought). Then after a couple of weeks she all of a sudden lead.....it was so nice not to have any fight or issues teaching her to lead.