Pictures of the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Selected Horses.

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Nerd
Allowance Winner

Postby Nerd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:44 pm

What a great site, thanks for the heads up!

Looking through it, I started wondering... are the consignors in favor of having photos displayed in a catalog? Especially before the sale? On one hand, if you have an immature or train-wreck yearling with a great pedigree it would be bad. But if you have one with superstar looks and a not-so-regal pedigree, it would be great to generate interest.
I for one, am in favor :wink:

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:46 am

That's a question that has come up more than a few times :wink:

Truth is, this is something that is happening, no matter what. Japanese Sales companies are already starting to do this. OBS and other companies are starting to do it. We just took it a step further, gave control to the consignors, or breeders, and made it social.

Consignors or anyone selling horses including breeders should understand: there is information out there you have no control over, foaltrack is an opportunity to put your best foot forward. Look how great every image that Taylor Made gave us looks. We sent a professional photographer to the sale, but have you seen some of the train wreck images people post online, at other sites? Even exceptional horses can look bad. You either use information smartly, or you can get buried by it.

Using your example, let's say you have "an immature or train-wreck yearling with a great pedigree". If you intend on taking that yearling to a yearling sale, do you think the problem goes away because there is no picture of the horse? If anything, a photo can make a bad horse look good. The bigger problem (to me) is making an exceptional yearling look exceptional. You need a pro.

Thanks for the kind words. foaltrack is really about creating a "home page" for every horse, and consolidating all the free information that is out there on to the page, and allowing everyone to start tracking the horses at an early age. That's what we are working on now. The data flow, and the notification to the members. Suggestions ALWAYS welcomed. :D

justinnich
Maiden Special Weight

Postby justinnich » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:45 pm

Well, I guess I have an update now on that full brother to Icon Project we bought at Saratoga! Man, she looked ridiculously good today. I'm SO glad the sale came before that race or he would've been out of our range I have a feeling. Here's hoping we have the male version of her!

tmacew
Weanling

Postby tmacew » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:44 am

She certainly did. Congrats on your savvy purchase. Arent you glad they didnt decide to sell her at Keeneland!

tmacew
Weanling

Postby tmacew » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:45 am

sell him, excuse me.

justinnich
Maiden Special Weight

Postby justinnich » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:56 am

We did indeed get very lucky with the timing. Tough to assess exactly how much the value of our colt changed in three weeks but I've gotta believe it almost doubled since Icon Project now seriously has to be considered a top five (maybe top 3) filly. If our colt had been sold at Keeneland he definitely wouldn't be our colt!

Btw for Dray and whoever else may be interested, the Unbridled's Song filly (hip 33) is being named Sublight Sonata pending jockey club approval.

justinnich
Maiden Special Weight

Postby justinnich » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:58 am

Sunlight Sonata I meant...no idea what a sublight is haha

tmacew
Weanling

Postby tmacew » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:47 am

Justin, I assume you saw this but I thought you would be interested:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... y-standout

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:28 am

justinnich wrote:Btw for Dray and whoever else may be interested, the Unbridled's Song filly (hip 33) is being named Sublight Sonata pending jockey club approval.

Great name, thanks for telling me. BTW, your purchase of 166 is stellar, I really wish you racing success. An exceptional stallion prospect, it must be VERY exciting having him in the stable. I will be watching very closely.

for those interested:
http://www.foaltrack.com/FoalDetail.aspx?FoalId=191

Go git 'em!

justinnich
Maiden Special Weight

Postby justinnich » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:22 am

First of all, Tmacew, thanks for the article! I'd read quite a few on Icon Project but hadn't seen one with as much on her (and our colt's) pedigree. Also, Dray, thanks again...I hope he fulfills that stallion prospect potential as it's clear his pedigree would carry him if he can put any stakes wins together. We're very excited to get to next year and see him start to run!

justinnich
Maiden Special Weight

Postby justinnich » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:00 am

I figured I'd pass along the link to a little video I put together of the horses we have prepping for racing this year. I'm using this thread since most of the footage is of Empiricist and Sunlight Sonata. If you can watch in HD, the quality is awesome! Would recommend not having volume too high, as the music that the editing program had to cover the sound from the actual recordings was a little loud at times.

Anyway, Merry Christmas all, and hope you have a great holiday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FcsK-9TQhk

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:55 am

That was AWESOME, i need to include a share function for video on foaltrack now. What do you think about Sunlight Sonata???? Thanks justinnich.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:31 pm

What A handsome boy, and the filly just looks awesome. What training center are you using. The folks in your video handled them both so lightly. It was really refreshing to see they took the time to show you the horses many times. Best of Luck!

justinnich
Maiden Special Weight

Postby justinnich » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks folks! Dray, the filly hasn't changed a bit since the sale really, and honestly, I think that's probably the best thing we could've hoped for. She was the kind that could only have gone the wrong direction if she changed a lot between then and now. There seems to be a pretty strong consensus that she's got very solid bone for an Unbridled's Song and she hasn't had a single problem of any kind in the last 4 months. If you just looked at her page, you'd think we probably overpaid a decent bit in this market but seeing her in person, it's tough not to be excited about her.

Crystal, we send them to Eisaman Equine in the Ocala area. They've always been fantastic with our horses and they are true horsepeople. They also broke Icon Project, so it seemed a particularly good fit with Empiricist since he's a full brother (and apparently has a lot of the same mannerisms even).

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:01 pm

They both look terrific, and I agree with Crystal, it's nice to see babies being so well handled. Best of luck with them!