Par Beyer Speed Figures

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Par Beyer Speed Figures

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:53 pm

I've been reading James Quinn's ON TRACK/OFF TRACK. One of the chapters is on Beyer Speed Figures. He discusses using Par BSF to evaluate and compare the BSF with other competition in the same race. Though I see the concept as he explains it, I'm a little confused about how he comes up with the par value itself. Can anyone help me?

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Postby Blue feather » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:52 am

I read Beyers book on handicapping and its my understanding, simply put, he uses the most often run race as far as class and distance and gets an average time, then attaches a number (par) to it. For example, if the most often run race at Laurel Park over a substantial period of time, say 1 year, is a open 10k claimer at 3/4. Say the average time is 1:12 and 2/5ths, the par will be 80. All Beyers numbers are based on this par time. He establishes averages and subsequent par time for all tracks. Since the numbers are established with the same formula at all tracks, you can compare numbers, not times which may be misleading.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:44 am

Blue feather posted:
. . . Since the numbers are established with the same formula at all tracks, you can compare numbers, not times which may be misleading.

Thanks for your response.

I probably need to read Beyer, but apparently it really doesn't matter to the bettor what the par value is? It has already been figured in. So, theoretically, a horse who ran a BSF of 100 at Saratoga should, all things being considered, be able to run a BSF of 100 + or - at Laurel at the same distance. Is that correct?

I've never felt comfortable with speed or pace figures, but my angles have gotten so complicated that it is getting hard for even me to follow.

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Postby Blue feather » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:27 am

Yes, that is correct. As far as handicapping, part of successful handicapping is having more info than the typical betting public. When Beyer produced his own numbers and the racing public used The Racing Form speed figures which were misleading, He had an advantage. Now that BSF are public info, no more advantage.