Keeneland Wednesday

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:09 am

Holy cow I just saw this! Congratulations Mary Ellen, it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person. I bet that was tons of fun!

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:31 am

Wow! Congrats to both you and Dray! What excellent news in a rather dismal sale ...

Crossing my fingers now that reedhill has some good luck with her consignments as well ... :)
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:28 pm

TrueColours wrote:Crossing my fingers now that reedhill has some good luck with her consignments as well ... :)

Thank you very much TC! I feel like a "pioneer woman" setting off into the unknown with our colored beauties. Biased of course, but they are in great shape and ready to roll next weekend. I think they will be a suprise to many!

Jenny
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Jenny » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:32 am

Congratulations! I don't even know what I would do if I sold one for that much. But you wouldn't find me for at least a couple of weeks! I would be hiding out somewhere in Jamaica or Bermuda! :D What most of the little guys dream of, that and winning the derby!! Good for you. Hope your success continues.

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:38 am

Carolyn - what day do yours go through?
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:55 am

All of the Allamystique's go through on Monday the 28th.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

MareMc56
Maiden Special Weight

Postby MareMc56 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:54 pm

Wow, it still hasn't sunk in that our homebred brought that much $$..
it was like turning the pages of The Bloodhorse and the people were jumping off the page and coming into our barn to look at Gracies baby...after the sale we went to the farm(Amende Place) to see the babies and mares and
Gracie's Van Nistelrooy weanling looks even better than the Candy Ride..so we enjoyed the moment at the sale and then started dreaming of
next year..and so it goes..will put a pic of Hip 700 up on foaltrack this
weekend..and again, best of luck to all who are in this sale and thanks for all the encouraging words.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

What gives?

Postby Joltman » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Been years since I bought at a sale, but I can't help but wonder what one is looking at at Kee Sept. when a horse with a stud fee over $50k and a solid if not really good page, can't even get a bid for $1500. A quick look at the RNAs shows this. Is it conformation, or something in an XRay or what?

The funny thing is that these are consigned by some major names, who, I would assume wouldn't want anything to do with a horse that had a flaw that serious. They certainly won't make much from commission other than what they got upfront.

Also, I would wonder if there might still be some potential in a filly given attractive page.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Re: What gives?

Postby LB » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:54 pm

Joltman wrote:Been years since I bought at a sale, but I can't help but wonder what one is looking at at Kee Sept. when a horse with a stud fee over $50k and a solid if not really good page, can't even get a bid for $1500. A quick look at the RNAs shows this. Is it conformation, or something in an XRay or what?

The funny thing is that these are consigned by some major names, who, I would assume wouldn't want anything to do with a horse that had a flaw that serious. They certainly won't make much from commission other than what they got upfront.

Also, I would wonder if there might still be some potential in a filly given attractive page.

jm

The problem is that this sale has no middle market. Buyers want the top tier of horses and nothing else. So if they don't like your yearling a lot, nobody bothers with him at all. And then the price just drops to nothing.

It seems to me that most buyers are thinking something along the lines of, "as soon as I sign the ticket, this horse is going to start costing me 2-3K a month, so why should I bother sinking that kind of money into a cheap horse?"

As for fillies with attractive pages...this is an industry with a notoriously short attention span, especially for something that won't even be breedable for another couple of years. And considering how many breeders are losing their shirts at this sale, the idea of stocking up on more potential broodmares isn't a terribly compelling one at the moment.

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Re: What gives?

Postby Hold Your Peace » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:14 pm

LB wrote:
Joltman wrote:Been years since I bought at a sale, but I can't help but wonder what one is looking at at Kee Sept. when a horse with a stud fee over $50k and a solid if not really good page, can't even get a bid for $1500. A quick look at the RNAs shows this. Is it conformation, or something in an XRay or what?

jm

The problem is that this sale has no middle market. Buyers want the top tier of horses and nothing else. So if they don't like your yearling a lot, nobody bothers with him at all. And then the price just drops to nothing.

It seems to me that most buyers are thinking something along the lines of, "as soon as I sign the ticket, this horse is going to start costing me 2-3K a month, so why should I bother sinking that kind of money into a cheap horse?"

As for fillies with attractive pages...this is an industry with a notoriously short attention span, especially for something that won't even be breedable for another couple of years. And considering how many breeders are losing their shirts at this sale, the idea of stocking up on more potential broodmares isn't a terribly compelling one at the moment.

Plus, at a yearling sale all you can get is something that is a sibling to something good or out of something good.

But this year you shoud be able to return to Keeneland in November and for a very reasonable price get a mare who is herself a stakes winner or stakes producer. And she's liable to already be in foal to something good. $25k is liable to buy you a heck of a nice mare at Keeneland November this year.

Langfuhr
Weanling

Postby Langfuhr » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:54 pm

reedhill wrote:
TrueColours wrote:Crossing my fingers now that reedhill has some good luck with her consignments as well ... :)

Thank you very much TC! I feel like a "pioneer woman" setting off into the unknown with our colored beauties. Biased of course, but they are in great shape and ready to roll next weekend. I think they will be a suprise to many!

With all due respect, but Keeneland is an offlee expensive place for a "show and tell". With no engagements of any sorts, you were clearly emphasizing color and not racing with your yearlings.

foothillsequine
Allowance Winner

Postby foothillsequine » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:36 pm

How did the colored ones do? Can someone shed some light? I did see the bloodhorse report that sales were down something like 41%...
~Dare to Dream~