Last day Keeneland

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:17 pm

as a matter of fact this is right,if you take chances on breeding non-commercial horses for racing you have to prove your point yourself and it cannot be with scared money...racing is awfully expensive,buying a horse is only the beginning,vet,transport,farrier,trainer,equipment...very easy to spend more than $3000. a month and sometimes to no results.Just look at statistics...re.number of starts per horse or percentage of runners or winners...this is why" investors"/buyers are careful and try to stack the deck in their favor by carefully checking pedigrees,conformation,x-rays and all...you cannot blame them for that.So i guess if you want to fight windmills you will have a hard time getting others to do it for you,you will have to charge first...
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:24 pm

Desert Oasis Sporthorses wrote:Sysonby: point taken, however, as I am sure you know, just because you breed to the best does not mean you will get a race horse. They are many out there that did not cut the mustard for one reason or another. Color does not mean they CAN race, but it also does not mean the cannot. I understand your point that if you want to race, put in the time. I say the same thing about sporthorse breeders. To make a name for yourself in ANY industry you have to get out there. Reedhill did just that. No matter the reason, she got out there.

I will say it again, it is the try that matters. At some point in their life, everyone tries. Whether we make it or not, the fact remains we try and some of us keep trying. One day all of our dreams will come true. The power of positive thinking. That is what makes it all worthwhile, no matter what industry.

I probably shouldn't speak for Sysonby but I think you misunderstood what she said. Reedhill did NOT get out there. She took some horses to a sale in the hope that other people would be willing to take a financial risk that she is unwilling/unable to assume herself.

Proving the horses means putting them on the racetrack, not in the sales ring. Until they've shown that they can run and win, the fact that they are colorful and registered with the Jockey Club just isn't that interesting to race horse people. If "it is the try that matters" then by all means TRY. Get the horses out and competing. That's when potential buyers will begin to take notice.

What the color breeders don't seem to grasp is that racehorse people want only three things in a horse: speed, speed, and soundness. They aren't afraid of the challenge of breeding colored racehorses they are uninterested in it. Color is a meaningless criteria to them.

It's hard enough to breed a good racehorse. And it's hard for us to see why would anyone want to make that task exponentially more difficult by starting with horses that weren't successful at racing themselves. I understand that that's the goal you've chosen for yourself. But I would hope that you can understand why others of us--as evidenced by the Keeneland results--decline to share that goal with you.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:26 pm

Desert Oasis Sporthorses wrote:.

I will say it again, it is the try that matters. At some point in their life, everyone tries. Whether we make it or not, the fact remains we try and some of us keep trying. One day all of our dreams will come true. The power of positive thinking. That is what makes it all worthwhile, no matter what industry.

Fair Play: I wish all could win the lottery so that we can all have our dreams. But, then again, the fun would be taken out of it because there would be nothing to work toward. So, I keep working and playing the lottery. One of these days... :lol:

Dreamers are fine. I'm a dreamer and so are a lot of us. But rather than emulating Winstar or Overbrook who can bring a Distorted Humor or Storm Cat to a sale and the world beats a path to their barn, why not follow in the footsteps of the lady who bred Teddy? What bizarre combination was he--Thoroughbred, Shetland pony and something else but when he finished 3rd at Rolex, people stopped laughing.

Things can happen but you can't talk them into reality or hope that someone else does the hard work for you.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Isn't it grand that we can all have different goals? I think so! I'm going outside to be with my husband and boys, talk with all you interesting people later.

radrider
Maiden Special Weight

Postby radrider » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:32 pm

The thing about Thoroughbred sales that I really don't get are the prices, 200,000 to a million dollars for horse, that's the equivalent to a house or a car or several horses in one buy. Plus I think that people are getting this for the horse, then stud fees should be lowered, otherwise how else is a person going to breed their mare, if they are going to breed. One thing I think that is hurting the game is people breeding horses, but don't do the research and are only doing it for the hell of it. Like rich and famous people. Last I heard Bobby Flay was into the racing game now.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:01 pm

radrider wrote:One thing I think that is hurting the game is people breeding horses, but don't do the research and are only doing it for the hell of it. Like rich and famous people. Last I heard Bobby Flay was into the racing game now.

Bobby Flay has very good horses and he manages them well. So do David Cassidy and Jess Jackson. Just because they're rich and famous doesn't mean that they're stupid.

Desert Oasis Sporthorses
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Desert Oasis Sporthorses » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:17 pm

I probably shouldn't speak for Sysonby but I think you misunderstood what she said. Reedhill did NOT get out there. She took some horses to a sale in the hope that other people would be willing to take a financial risk that she is unwilling/unable to assume herself.

Proving the horses means putting them on the racetrack, not in the sales ring. Until they've shown that they can run and win, the fact that they are colorful and registered with the Jockey Club just isn't that interesting to race horse people. If "it is the try that matters" then by all means TRY. Get the horses out and competing. That's when potential buyers will begin to take notice.

What the color breeders don't seem to grasp is that racehorse people want only three things in a horse: speed, speed, and soundness. They aren't afraid of the challenge of breeding colored racehorses they are uninterested in it. Color is a meaningless criteria to them.

It's hard enough to breed a good racehorse. And it's hard for us to see why would anyone want to make that task exponentially more difficult by starting with horses that weren't successful at racing themselves. I understand that that's the goal you've chosen for yourself. But I would hope that you can understand why others of us--as evidenced by the Keeneland results--decline to share that goal with you.[/quote]

Actually, Reedhill did get out there. Maybe not for racehorses, but she got out there. You never know. Someone may have bought one of her horses to race. It could happen. You just never know. That is the "try". As for the try, as I mentioned, it is try, whether racing, eventing, whatever. I am a super small breeder, trying to improve my stock. I will eventually get myself out there, however, that takes time and $$$ as we all know. That is my dream to fulfill. However, I will give BIG kudos to anyone who tries to fulfill their dream, no matter what that dream is. Racehorses are wonderful animals, but so are the colored TBs. Kudos to all who have ever taken a chance big or small. I guess my point is, support to all, whatever their dream and however they want to live that dream. There is no right way to do anything. Everything in life is subject to interpretation. None of us have the right to say what anyone else is doing is wrong, whether we think it or not.
Kim S. Leavitt
Desert Oasis Sporthorses
Proudly Standing Airdrie Apache, Bright White and Crusov Fox

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:26 pm

If I remember correctly there was a palomino filly that was sold at Keenland for a large sum. People do look at color. I remember that much. BUT and I really mean BUT...
How many colored thoroughbreds come to major sales vs. the solids... not to many.. Thats why people dont buy as many colored thoroughbreds. Alot of them are private sales.
If there is a colored thoroughbred in the Barrets sale on Monday I will taking a hard look at that horse.

Desert Oasis Sporthorses
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Desert Oasis Sporthorses » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:31 pm

KK: Not too many people take the colored TBs to sales. This is true. Most of us do breed for performance, not race. However, some of us are also trying improve our stock slowly to be able to cover both arenas. It could happen :D I have recently acquired Bright White to help further that dream. No, he did not race, however Roanoke and Pleasant Colony did. His dam side isn't too good, however, with a good stakes placed mare, who knows what could happen.
Kim S. Leavitt

Desert Oasis Sporthorses

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:38 pm

I was just trying to give you a little sunshine Kim. I know they are out there. Somewhere. However I have seen many horses come from no name sires or dams that do win..

Desert Oasis Sporthorses
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Desert Oasis Sporthorses » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Karen: I know you were and I do thank you for it. I did not mean to offend you in any way shape or form. Please, if I offended you, I do apologize. Kim
Kim S. Leavitt

Desert Oasis Sporthorses

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Theres people on this board who have been breeding racehorses for years. For YEARS. Still trying to breed a really good race horse. People breeding horses that have been successful on the track and come from lines of successful horses. You are breeding some colored horses, and as an afterthought, think they should be race horses. Its not even your first priority in breeding; color is.

You've got a better shot of breeding some of those horses to donkeys and getting some pinto racing mules. You might be competitive there.

Then again, maybe not.

Rachel Alexandra
2yo Maiden

Postby Rachel Alexandra » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:35 pm

Sysonby wrote:Could it be that TB buyers with their wealth of information resources and the extreme cost of training for their discipline are more discerning about what they buy? Could it be that $2500 a month training sharpens the skepticism when confronted with no pedigree wrapped up in a pretty color? Could it be that people who have to support these horses see through the double dilute whatever stuff and just don't see an upside potential in a blank page with lots of room for notes?

BTW what happened to the plain ones with no pedigree and no color? You sneer at racehorse breeders with the plain Jane horses but most of us breed to Graded SWs who have sired Graded SWs. There is a certain amount of proven athleticism that goes along with that.

I haven't heard anyone say you shouldn't breed your horses but if you are going to breed horses by a stallion who himself RNA'd for $4500 at auction after finishing a less than stellar racing career and you intend them for the track, you better be prepared to do the heavy lifting of proving him yourself. Stranger things have happened--Barpasser became an AQHA legend in the ring and st stud after a horrendous career as a running horse but those folks didn't expect to sit back while other people invested in their dream and made it happen.

And if you are not willing to do what it takes to make the horse (in whatever discipline you want to pursue), just what are you guys doing?

You're being too logical for her to understand.
Last edited by Rachel Alexandra on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:35 pm

You know Fireslam-
How many people that have been breeding for YEARS upon YEARS actually had a Tripple Crown winner or a Breeders cup winner?? To say that breeders that SPECIALIZE in color breed for just color is REALLY WRONG.
You dont know Kim, and Im sure that Reedhill doesnt appreciate it either. Kim just doesnt breed for color okay.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:43 pm

Don't you all race zebras and elephants down in Zambezi?
RA you are just plain insignificant here.