F-T Midlantic Eastern Yearling Sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:51 pm

Does anyone know what happened to Hip # 110?

Not For Love X Timely Broad by Broad Brush

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:38 pm

griff wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Hip # 110?

Not For Love X Timely Broad by Broad Brush

griff

Sure $21,000 to Country Life Farm, Agent.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:45 am

WOW! A ready to start NFL filly out of a graded stakes winning Broad Brush daughter sells for $4k less than NFL's stud fee..

This is definitely the year to get into the race business.

griff

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:42 am

JYS wrote:The numbers are down a bit, but nothing drastic, it appears.

As I said in the OBS thread, the smaller regional sales are going to be affected less by this fallout because the range in prices and the amount of horses offered is much smaller than the inflated KeeSept sale. I think it's size is it's own worst enemy in a market like this.

Median for the sale is down 40% to $5000 (half sold for under $5k, half sold for more). Last year it was $9k. You can't breed a mare with zero stud fee, foal the baby, raise the foal, etc. for anywhere near that. I do not know how half the breeders can continue.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

IcouldbeU
Maiden Special Weight

Postby IcouldbeU » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:04 am

griff wrote:WOW! A ready to start NFL filly out of a graded stakes winning Broad Brush daughter sells for $4k less than NFL's stud fee..

This is definitely the year to get into the race business.

griff

This was a YEARLING sale wasn't it? So not a ready to start filly, but I agree what a steal, even if she doesnt make it to the track will be a nice one to breed later

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:09 am

It is time to start long yearlings if you plan to race them as 2 YOs; i.e., it will be a 2 YO in less than 3 months.

griff

HR LLC
Starters Handicap

Postby HR LLC » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:54 am

Why purchase a yearling when most of these horses will be back at the Mid Atlantic 2 year old sale? I doubt the economy will be back in May 2010. Let someone else bear the expense of getting these horses ready for the track.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:12 am

HR LLC wrote:Why purchase a yearling when most of these horses will be back at the Mid Atlantic 2 year old sale? I doubt the economy will be back in May 2010. Let someone else bear the expense of getting these horses ready for the track.

It's unfortunate that there are a lot of people who think like you.

Personally, I wish they would do away with 2yo in training sales. Even if you buy one there, you can't just load them into the starting gate the next week. Many, many horses come out of these sales and need time.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:07 pm

Unfortunate????? You'd better thank your lucky stars that people are thinking like that. Otherwise the yearling market would tank even worse than it has now. If no one is looking to buy 2 year olds, you might as well put a bullet in these yearlings now.

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:27 pm

Bohemia wrote:It's unfortunate that there are a lot of people who think like you.

Personally, I wish they would do away with 2yo in training sales. Even if you buy one there, you can't just load them into the starting gate the next week. Many, many horses come out of these sales and need time.

Cause du-jour. The ills of the entire market blamed on the abuses of one segment, without regard to the abuses of every other segment (including the yearlings). I know many who have expressed the exact sentiment of HR LLC. Truth is, I don't know of many who expect to buy a two year-old and "throw them in the gate", Bohemia. Every single one of them needs time. Just not a year, year and a half. But you are right, many of them need time to recover from the stress of the 2YO sale. And sadly, some never do.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:30 pm

The part of HR LLC's comment that I took exception to was: "Why buy a yearling ... ?"

Should yearling sales be discontinued, then?

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Bohemia wrote:The part of HR LLC's comment that I took exception to was: "Why buy a yearling ... ?"

Should yearling sales be discontinued, then?

Why? Lots of people pass the yearling sales and buy only two year-olds, simply because they get a more finished product and don't have to pay for an extra year of farm bills. That said, you couldn't sell a 2YO to a lot of folks who hate the two year-old sales... because they feel pinhookers push the horses too hard. To them, carrying a yearling is LESS of an expense than having to rehab a horse, or buy a horse that never makes it to a sale. Others would argue that yearlings don't make it to the track either, so why not find one healthy at the 2YO stage. There are pro's and con's to each.

Fact is, it's become easy to buy a horse your way. And cheaper too :?

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:39 pm

lSome stallion pages seem to indicate that in normal years there s money to be made buying yearlings and selling them as 2 YOs. I realize there are expenses involved ihere but some of the yearling vs 2 YO auction avearges on many stallion pages show a significant increase betweeen avearge yearling prices and average 3 YO prices..

griff