Do's and Dont at a sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Rachel Alexandra
2yo Maiden

Postby Rachel Alexandra » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Fair Play wrote:
Rachel Alexandra wrote:
karenkarenn wrote:Hello everyone!
Im back from california. Is everyone advised out on sales? I know I know but Im not too sure if I should start a new topic on horses at the sale. I saw a few horses that I liked, they were alert but lost it while coming out of the stall. If anyones out there that can talk about horses at sales, can you give me a sign? :P 8)
Karen

:?: :?: "they were alert but lost it while coming out of the stall" :?: :?:
Are you looking for a trail horse or a race horse?

I was thinking the same thing.

They are yearlings that someone is likely losing their shirt on. I would not be deterred if they don't seem as "broke" as usual. Some places charge $200 per day at the sale, and $50 or more per day at the farm for prep. I am sure a few breeders cheaped out there. That can be fixed in no time. (We have sold horses before at Maryland where 100% of the money went to the sales company and agent. Live and learn.)

Not to mention they are thoroughbreds. Hot bloods. It's bred into them and it doesn't take much to set some off.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:31 pm

Actaully Thats not what I meant at all. Just a few sentences and this takes off.
Sysonby Ill PM you.
karen

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:50 am

What did you mean? "Lost it" to me means did something along the lines of clamped tail and scooted, reared, acted untouched by human hands before that moment.... :)

Rachel Alexandra
2yo Maiden

Postby Rachel Alexandra » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:39 pm

Fair Play wrote:What did you mean? "Lost it" to me means did something along the lines of clamped tail and scooted, reared, acted untouched by human hands before that moment.... :)

Some people that have never been around TBs aren't use to all that sort of behavior. I knew a girl that went to work for a consignor with TB yearlings and she called them "wild". I told her "no, they're thoroughbreds". :D

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:43 pm

For yearlings, it could be the first time they are away from the farms they are born and or prepped at.. New sights and smells. It's the first day of kindergarden! LOL

Plus, being in and out of their stalls 20+ times a day wears them out quick.

Rachel Alexandra
2yo Maiden

Postby Rachel Alexandra » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:36 pm

Crystal wrote:For yearlings, it could be the first time they are away from the farms they are born and or prepped at.. New sights and smells. It's the first day of kindergarden! LOL

Plus, being in and out of their stalls 20+ times a day wears them out quick.

Good comparison! LOL!