Suspensory Injuries?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Suspensory Injuries?

Postby Shannon » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:36 pm

Okay. I bought a mare with suspensory injuries on bith fronts, one leg worse than the other. She has been off the track since Oct/Nov of 2004. She seems sound on them, but there is still some swelling or fluid, no heat.

What do you do with injuries like this?
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

Rick
Allowance Winner

Postby Rick » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:16 pm

Her racing career is over. She probably could be a riding horse or a broodmare.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:19 pm

I was not planning on racing her again. I would like for her to be riding sound, but she will be bred this year to Perfect Score. I just want to do everything I can to makesure she is comfortable and have the least amount of visible damage as I can should I decide to show her.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:10 am

I have dealt with a number of horses with suspensory injuries, and one mare I got a little over a year ago has just now come up sound, so she will be bred this year. The question is how much damage -- ie: torn, pulled, etc. You can ultrasound the legs. This will determine the best course to keeping the mare as comfortable as possible. Growing heels and using front shoes to "relax" the ligament helps periodically, followed by readjusting to "stretch" the ligament back out. Sure Tight linament, applied twice a day (wear gloves, strong stuff) will ease the swelling and pain a lot. Of course, giving her MSM to help the tissue regroup can't hurt. Once she is walking easier, she can be turned out in a small paddock every day, but still stalled at night. In my experience, most times it takes at least a year for a ligament, sometimes two.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Jenarby
Allowance Winner

Postby Jenarby » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:10 pm

Something you might consider is shockwave therapy. It's pricey but I've seen it take down swelling and aid in faster repair of the ligments. Or, you could blister her. My vet recommended blistering once a month for three months. Most of all, it just takes time.

Shannon Inkster
Weanling

Postby Shannon Inkster » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:28 pm

She seems sound on them. She is in a paddock and runs around, plays without favoring them at all. There isn't any heat that I can feel, but still filling and thickness throughout the tendon. I will see how she does, then consider the options from there. Thanks for the advice.

Jenarby
Allowance Winner

Postby Jenarby » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:33 pm

If you even have the slightest doubt, I'd have her ultrasounded. It's really the only way you can find out for sure just how much damage she has and how long it will take to heal fully. Sounds like she's well on her way to recovery. If she's now running around *looking* sound and not coming up sore after rough play, I'd think she's would hold up to be bred without discomfort.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:12 pm

Thanks!