interpretations of sale scenario requested

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Toccet02
Leading Sire

interpretations of sale scenario requested

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:29 am

OK, so a good race mare who earned 300K at the track has spent one breeding/foaling season at a big name farm, and had a filly by a new stallion. The mare is now for sale Kee November...the weanling is not. However they bred the mare back to the same new stallion so she's selling in foal.

Could this mean absolutely anything, or is my gut worry about the foal or mare a valid intuition?
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Sock Monkey
Allowance Winner

Re: interpretations of sale scenario requested

Postby Sock Monkey » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Toccet02 wrote:OK, so a good race mare who earned 300K at the track has spent one breeding/foaling season at a big name farm, and had a filly by a new stallion. The mare is now for sale Kee November...the weanling is not. However they bred the mare back to the same new stallion so she's selling in foal.

Could this mean absolutely anything, or is my gut worry about the foal or mare a valid intuition?

What are you worried about?

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:59 pm

Sounds like they are keeping the filly foal and selling momma as she would bring more in this climate as opposed to an unraced weanling.

Plus if momma does well they still have part of the family & the filly's race career to look forward to, they might actually think a lot of the foal?

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Re: interpretations of sale scenario requested

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:37 pm

Sock Monkey wrote:
Toccet02 wrote:OK, so a good race mare who earned 300K at the track has spent one breeding/foaling season at a big name farm, and had a filly by a new stallion. The mare is now for sale Kee November...the weanling is not. However they bred the mare back to the same new stallion so she's selling in foal.

What are you worried about?

I suppose that they don't consider the mare worth keeping (though they paid 250K or so for her) and/or that the foal may not look great---but then why breed her back? It's hard to tell in this economic climate since everyone needs money. It also seems that most farms sell the mare and the weanling. Just thought I'd ask the more experienced.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.

----Arrested Development

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:44 pm

I don't see anything worrisome about that scenario at all. It's the kind of thing that happens all the time.

I would assume that the mare is for sale because someone needs money, and that they probably plan to sell the weanling as a yearling when--usually--prices are higher.

There are plenty of other possibilities: weanling is dead, they plan to race it, it's butt ugly and they don't want potential buyers to see it--though usually in that case it's dumped in a back book--but I would assume that the easiest possibility is also the most likely one.

By the way, if you're a potential buyer, when you go to look at the mare, ask where the weanling is and see if the consignor has a picture for you too look at. Chances are, they will.

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:54 am

I'd investigate any potential purchase as closely as possible, but it wouldn't worry me. Many breeders must keep only a certain number of mares. It is easier to sell a proven producer than a young maiden, (for example) that they might love, but would not fetch what they hope she is worth. There are lots of possibilities.