du Pont dispersal

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Toral
Yearling

du Pont dispersal

Postby Toral » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:20 pm

Allaire du Pont's Bohemia Stable stock is being dispersed in the november Keeneland sale, and the rest in the sales next year.

Per the DRF article.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:48 pm

It's kind of like watching the top executives bail out of Enron, Countrywide, and other companires just before the stuff hit the fan.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:04 pm

She was a grand lady. He seems the house of cards is toppling in the face of difficult financial times ahead.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:59 pm

griff wrote:It's kind of like watching the top executives bail out of Enron, Countrywide, and other companires just before the stuff hit the fan.

griff

It is absolutely nothing at all like that. Allaire Dupont was a very grand horsewoman who lived her life for the sport. WT Young (Overbrook) whose dispersal is coming up also was very into the game until he died. Comparing these sportsmen to the a$$holes who jumped in to cheater businesses, raped billions of dollars off and got out - well even though it's not me it insults me to the bottom of my soul.

It's the end of an era for those families, nothing else. You can't expect the heirs to "carry on."
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:11 pm

hi madelyn

madelyn wrote:
griff wrote:It's kind of like watching the top executives bail out of Enron, Countrywide, and other companires just before the stuff hit the fan.

griff

It is absolutely nothing at all like that. Allaire Dupont was a very grand horsewoman who lived her life for the sport. WT Young (Overbrook) whose dispersal is coming up also was very into the game until he died. Comparing these sportsmen to the a$$holes who jumped in to cheater businesses, raped billions of dollars off and got out - well even though it's not me it insults me to the bottom of my soul.

It's the end of an era for those families, nothing else. You can't expect the heirs to "carry on."

Bull's-eye on all counts.

Best to ya.

Respectfully

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:37 pm

You are right, it was a bad comparison..

However it is still scary how many operations are getting out of the business.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:44 pm

hi griff

griff wrote:... it is still scary how many operations are getting out of the business.

Demand is anemic. That's a reality.

Best.

Respectfully

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:50 am

The du Pont and Overbrook sales, plus Magna's divesting itself of tracks, is a sign of trouble times. It doesn't matter whether you have 100 mares or two, the equine industry is in for more bad times than many would like to admit.

Over the years, horseracing has had many stellar individuals who have or are about to pass on. There heirs for the most part are not interested in the business or can't afford to stick with it. I remember when E P Taylor died, his son was more interested in journalism but he, along with his wife, attempted to keep things going, but with only a small fraction of the late Taylor's holdings. Taylor's son died young. I think at the age 53 and it was really his wife who kept things afloat. In Allaire's case, I think one of her daughters preceded her in death and she was the one most interested in equestrian activities. Very sad.

Times are changing.

I always thought the picture of Allaire Du Pont riding KELSO on her farm was the greatest. She was truly a grand lady.

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:09 am

Is there anyone who can replace these wonderful horsepeople? Someone with the money and the love of the horse? There are plenty of people in the business that are in it because they love the horse ( me for one ) but I sure don't have their money :? .

winds