Keeneland Nov Hip#3815 AP Indy inbreeding

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

fastappy
Starters Handicap

Keeneland Nov Hip#3815 AP Indy inbreeding

Postby fastappy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:50 pm

http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/nov09/pdfs/3815.pdf

Just curious what other breeders think about this Lanes End consignment, which is 2x3 inbreeding to A.P. Indy. The Pulpit mare being in foal to a son of A.P. Indy. Apparently the 1st foal on this cross must be acceptable as this breeding is repeated.

Also if you check the pedigree data base you will see a 10% strike rate for stakes horses when inbreeding to Seattle Slew at 3x3 (or equivalent) or less (2x3). Granted the data base is somewhat flawed.

The computerized nicking programs generally provide a C to D rating on this cross. Any input would be appreciated.
"He's by Damon Runyon out of a Don Rickles mare," Actor Jack Klugman

Mike
Allowance Winner

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:16 pm

There was a time, over a hundred years ago, when this was acceptable, but it doesn't happen much today, in fact many frown apon it.

fastappy
Starters Handicap

Postby fastappy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:34 am

It seems like more breeders are trying it of recent despite the taboos against it. I know certain lines are less risky than others, keeping in mind the two individuals to be mated are not doubling up on the physical faults or temperment known to that line of horses.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:06 pm

This mare was at the farm I worked at earlier this year, and yes the foal was Very Nice. I have seen a few Lane's End horses bred like this.

fastappy
Starters Handicap

Postby fastappy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:45 pm

Crystal wrote:This mare was at the farm I worked at earlier this year, and yes the foal was Very Nice. I have seen a few Lane's End horses bred like this.

I am so glad you responded, having actually seen the resulting foal. I find that very intriguing. I've seen similar crosses but a little farther out, such as High Cotton (3x4 Slew) by Lanes End stallion Dixie Union, Slews Tizzy, etc.

It's something for me to consider, and I appreciate getting the input, especially knowing a successful commercial operation has done this type of mating.