AZERI to Japan!!!!

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Terlingua
2yo Maiden

AZERI to Japan!!!!

Postby Terlingua » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:04 pm

I'm just sick about this. I keep thinking of Ferdinand..... I hope to goodness that there's a codicil on the agreement that she be retired to the USA. She deserves to be at Our Mims with Jeanne Mirabito when she's retired. After all, she's a national treasure.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:27 am

You really think a horse as high profile as her will slip though the cracks? It's going to make the news every year she foals.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:30 am

Apparently, none of the US breeders at the sale agreed with the National Treasure part. The bidding was between Japan and England.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:02 pm

you know this is the sad thing about the sales.

It's like, and i'm not going to mence words when I say this, but alot of the big name trainers have sucked all of the "new money" out of the american market. it's like okay, "blank check time, let's see how many new toys i can get him to buy me before he quits".

you don't see many new big time american buyers anymore. god forbid something were to happen to godolphin or coolmore.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:47 pm

I doesn't matter if the money is coming from Ireland, Japan, England, Dubai or America.. It's still money being spent in America. I can only speak for myself but if it's still got a dead american president on it, its ok by me.

JCBloodstock
Maiden Special Weight

Postby JCBloodstock » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:01 pm

As a racehorse,she was great.As a broodmare there has been a lot of hype with little return.

If she would just so happen to produce a Champion 2 or 3 year old or a Kentucky Derby or Breeder's Cup winner how long do you honestly think she would be right back here in the states.

Terlingua
2yo Maiden

Azeri to Japan!!!!

Postby Terlingua » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:22 am

The reason I worry is that I was responsible for chasing down Chapel of Dreams (Northern Dancer ex. Terlingua) who was sold by Overbrook some time ago & then disappeared off the radar after a brief stay at her new owners. I contacted Chase Clay @ Three Chimneys who had the same bad feeling about what might happen to a 24 year-old mare who, after a more than decent running career, had failed to produce great offspring. Mr. Clay located her, purchased her and she is now pensioned for the rest of her life @ Three Chimneys. Now Chapel of Dreams was no Azeri, but she did win almost 500K in her time and Mr. Clay also agreed that with huge numbers of thoroughbreds on the market, it's really hard to assure their long-term safety. And, as has been pointed out, Azeri's babies have not shown, at least as yet, any of their mother's brilliance and the youngsters don't seem to impress even the American buyers much. Given this, I worry that she could, as an older girl, be at risk.

Indychase
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Azeri to Japan!!!!

Postby Indychase » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:01 am

Terlingua wrote:The reason I worry is that I was responsible for chasing down Chapel of Dreams (Northern Dancer ex. Terlingua) who was sold by Overbrook some time ago & then disappeared off the radar after a brief stay at her new owners. I contacted Chase Clay @ Three Chimneys who had the same bad feeling about what might happen to a 24 year-old mare who, after a more than decent running career, had failed to produce great offspring. Mr. Clay located her, purchased her and she is now pensioned for the rest of her life @ Three Chimneys. Now Chapel of Dreams was no Azeri, but she did win almost 500K in her time and Mr. Clay also agreed that with huge numbers of thoroughbreds on the market, it's really hard to assure their long-term safety. And, as has been pointed out, Azeri's babies have not shown, at least as yet, any of their mother's brilliance and the youngsters don't seem to impress even the American buyers much. Given this, I worry that she could, as an older girl, be at risk.

??? Her oldest foal is only 2. Can we not write off a broodmare before her very first foal even walks into a starting gate?

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:20 pm

Indychase wrote:
??? Her oldest foal is only 2. Can we not write off a broodmare before her very first foal even walks into a starting gate?

IMO, I think it is not so much a reflection on her, as on her damline. It seems that the US breeders are only spending big money on mares from proven families. Azeri is still unproven, and given how many great race mares sprang from weak families and then failed to produce, she is more of a risk.

Indychase
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Indychase » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:24 pm

Lucy wrote:
Indychase wrote:

IMO, I think it is not so much a reflection on her, as on her damline. It seems that the US breeders are only spending big money on mares from proven families. Azeri is still unproven, and given how many great race mares sprang from weak families and then failed to produce, she is more of a risk.

Well, I agree with that. I just take issue with the folks saying 'her foals haven't shown anything yet' and that she's been disappointing as a broodmare.