CTHS Winter Mixed Sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:25 pm

IMO 98 has 1 horse of note in 4 generations, and he doesn't have any Graded black type and was mostly a Restricted horse. There were much better on paper in the sale. Once again in my opinion if I was buying for a client and not someone who watches Woodbine and only Woodbine.
such as 87, 92, 107, 117 also 115 and 121 although I am hessitant to get too excited about a horse by a son of Theatrical
too weird to live...too rare to die
www.ascotstudfarm.com

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:14 pm

salepard - yes she was in foal :) I think the price was warranted as she was not a spectacular looking mare (no offense) and her weanling had conformation issues and was on the smaller side (he was #109, sold for only $3000) also her 2yr. old filly sold for only $4500 in KEENOV because she too was on the smaller side.

Ascot - #98 was a pretty great looking weanling (not sure if you had a chance to see him or not). I know there are no graded winners but it can't hurt having record setting Legal Move close up ;)
ps I looked at #87, great profile but on the small side (someone got a deal on that one for sure), #92, a peanut :), and #121, very good looking - tall and correct. Hopefullt STS will be able to carry on for Theatrical, he certainly seems to be throwing some good looking and decent sized foals despite his own small stature and he certainly has the page.

#83 for $100,000 - doesn't that seem a little absurd? Did Bear Stables not already own the horse to begin with?
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:21 am

Ascot its hard to tell who is writing you or your brother.. & i answered your private message sometime ago that if you want change then you have to get involved at some level. Since you or your brother brought the topic onto a public board i don't feel the need to keep it private.

I am not sure why you (or your brother) have such a chip on your shoulder, about the industry here in Ontario, but i hope you are able to shake it off. After all, you now stand stallions to hopefully benefit the Ontario market. I use to go see Swain & Aljabr in KY & its great they are here. This isn't personal, i just feel you need to be fair in your critisms.

With purses as they are here & the breeder's incensitives i feel its a pretty great place to race & breed. I do attend Gulfstream, Keeneland, Calder etc. I love racing south of the border, but yes i breed for here and was looking at horses at the sale that would be restricted to here. I did attend Keeneland in September as i love looking at good horses anywhere. :)

I just plain love the industry.
Horse Radish

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:52 am

What happened with the whole Tennenbaum consignment? That had to have cost some money to get out of!

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:39 am

Not sure just know they pulled everything out? :shock:
Horse Radish

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:24 am

Was just checking the sales results. 185 horses in the catalogue, 74 either RNA'd or withdrawn. At 40%, that is horribly high!

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:58 am

Apparently no one would ship his horses in :shock:
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Jenny
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Jenny » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Rumors are called rumors for a reason. All Tenenbaums horses were sold privately before hand. Some of the 2 yr olds are racing down in the US now. I sold most of his stock over the summer and did a huge dispersal in the fall. To "get rid" before the sale. Most probably fetched more privately than if they would have gone through the sale.

Hip 87 is now at my farm and is a really cutie. She is very small for a Feb. baby but is put together well, just in a small package. However, I was told she tried to come through the screen and cut all her eyes open, what a mess. I am just waiting for my vet to come and sort her all out. Poor thing.

I also have hip 101 and 124 both are nice girls.
I am starting to think with prices like these, why bother breeding anything. Might as well just pick them up cheap at the sale.

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:49 pm

Jenny wrote:I am starting to think with prices like these, why bother breeding anything. Might as well just pick them up cheap at the sale.

Exactly. Less than vet fees, never mind everything else. And just think of all the sleep we'd be getting. ;)

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:25 pm

Sure you are right that prices privately would be better if you are able to find buyers.

How come he didn't cancel them sooner than Friday day before the sale?
Horse Radish

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:22 pm

I know there are no graded winners but it can't hurt having record setting Legal Move close up

Mood Swings I know what you're saying, but I am a stickler for Graded winners in my pedigrees and have a hard time seeing OSS winners as actual Stakes winners when most of the time they would have a hard time winning for $40k claimers elsewhere. Legal Move might have been a Stakes winner down South at a B level track (Laurel, Turfway, Lone Star)IMO.

Westover, out of 20 posts on here 1 will usually be from my brother and it will be as PC as posts go. I tri a few years ago and a few times since to get an account, but somehow never got an password. So I started using my brothers which he rarely used.
I am young and am not buddies with everyone up here (I have more friends and contacts in KY), right now I would not get elected to the CTHS or HBPA even though I feel I am more than qualified, but I do intend to run for eventually, I figure I should put my politics degree to some use. But now is not the time when I am out of the country for over 6 months of the year. Just because someone isn't a member of an organization doesn't mean they can't be a critic, or see blatant mistakes and point them out. I love the racing and breeding industry here but it has serious issues and needs lots of change, unfortunately anyone new that tries is quickly ousted. There is way too much money being handed out for our sales and racing quality to still be this mediocre. We need more outsiders to bring in fresh and new ideas instead of just being content. There are rumblings within the Provincial Government that despite all the money the racing has not improved so why support it, that is not good.

I don't think my criticsms were off base, and I don't think they are worthy of a debate. They are oversights that I would never see with any other organization I have dealt with in NA. The only way to improve is to point out shortcomings and make them better, wether you are friends with the people you are pointing out or not.
too weird to live...too rare to die

www.ascotstudfarm.com

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Ms. Moody'kins i liked that colt, restricted races or not, if you are breeding for this side of the border i thought he was fine on page and over all a good looking, well put together individual. I am also a wee bit of a Bold Executive fan so what can i say.

I see Lahabeeb who won the E.P. Taylor Stake here at Woodbine (Gr.1) sold for 1,000,000 at Tattersalls in England this week.. how fun is that.. would have loved to have attended.
:)

[/b]
Horse Radish

Jenny
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Jenny » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:02 pm

westover
We were still selling them up until the last minute. :roll:
I am glad they are all gone now. Well except for the one I have left that I bought for myself as a hunter/sale prospect. Of course it is the only one I haven't sold! :x He will go soon enough, I hope.

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:14 pm

Thats nice because then at least you know where they are going.. there are always moments when i sell at the sale that i have a cardiac in thinking about where they may go.. not too many of those individuals but a few. :( [/b]
Horse Radish

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:28 am

A very depressing set of numbers for all those selling, I'm sure there were some very useful horses in that mix but the sad reality is that it's next to impossible to even give a decent horse away these days.