Horse Slaughter In Canada

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Supernova » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:43 am

Derby Lyn wrote:Because it doesn't seem like there is any home for all of these horses. I can't imagine where they would go if slaughter was not available. You will always have the backyard breeders, and the people who don't care if the horse goes to slaughter. If you take away slaughter, you have to offer other options for these horses.

If you outlaw slaughter, eventually the market will become so saturated with horses that it will make the backyard breeders think twice before breeding a mare, because they will not be able to get rid of them. When they are forced to cough up the money to humanely euthanize these wonderful "pets" they continue to breed (and to actually witness their "pet" dieing rather than the out of sight, out of mind theory) it will take the fun out of it. Sure, for a while we are going to have many unwanted, starving horses with no place to go, but eventually things will get better. We have unwanted, starving horses anyway. I think it's kind of a "sacrifice" we have to make.

walaa
Starters Handicap

slaughter

Postby walaa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:50 am

Once again, the ridiculous argument almost everyone who has posted here remains, stop the backyard breeder and then the issue is automatically better. BS The bigtime farms put out HUNDREDS of babies every year, and could care less where they end up, be it t-breds, standardbreds, QH's etc. people, get real, THE BACKYARD BREEDER IS NOT THE REASON FOR ALL THE UNWANTED HORSES!!!!!! I cant believe any educated person still posts that garbage anywhere on the internet, but will still put multiple posts up, saying "Kudos, congrats, cant wait to breed some of my mares" etc, when any farm in Canada, TX Minnesota etc, gets some teenage stallion, that has failed everywhere else, but now gets a chance to breed 111 more babies somehwere else. It would be nice and funny and true if someone were to say, " Hey, how about gelding that guy" Secondly, whether you want to believe it or not, the the classification of horses as livestock doesnt mean crap, they are not raised for food. They follow no standard or protocol for what an animal for human consumption should be fed, medicated or anything else that goes with the legitimate rasing of an animal for human consumption. If you like horses for food go for it, but raise them that way, not eat starved, diseased, medicated animals in the name of your culture, thats BS unless you are starving, and these slaughtered horses are not going to starving 3rd world countries to help feed their populations. That would be even more acceptable to me personally, but they are going to countries that dont want to spend any moeny raising horses for food, but maybe if they saw the condition some of these animals are in, they would think twice about what a "delicacy" they truely are. I am not against horse slaughter, but needs to be done humanely, and the animal raised from the beginning for this purpose, but am TOTALLY AGAINST anyone on this forum and everywhere else who continues to blame the backyard breeder for every problem associated with equine overpopulation and slaughter in general, its just plain ridiculous.

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:41 am

Could not help but to address this yet again. The real issue here is the treatment these animals recive before and during. The money spent to ban the plants could well have been better spent developing humane methods with a horse in mind. A horse is not a steer no matter how their raised. If people from other cultures don't mind medicated meat than let them have it rather than abuse the animal by starvation/dehydration, bad transportation conditions and inappropriate slaghter methods designed for cattle. I will never knowing eat a horse and really hate the idea of horses having to go through these conditions but it is wasteful to bury that much meat for one and has been going on sence the begining of time. As evolved humans we should come up with a better method with the animal in mind and try to leave the emotion out of it also for the better intrest of the horse. Oh and rember most of the horses going aren't TBs.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:13 am

When we buried our horse in Sept. We had to go through alot of hoops to do it. Some people in our community think that its harming soil, others screamed about the rotting flesh below. Its simply bigger than just burying your horse-- some idiots out there will REALLY put on a stink about it. We would like to have the mustangs have final place to live at the Winecup ranch where they can roam for the rest of their lives. And idiot ranchers here and near Reno send their studs out to breed and over breed the mustangs that roam now, but they dont care... It should be illegal! Its in our paper. People know what they are doing- overbreeding- do they care no! It's stupid. The county commisioners are refusing to bring them to a final home on a 500 acre closed ranch where they wont have others bother them and they grip about too many horses in Elko County, but they dont stop the ranchers from breeding. The Winecup doesnt have any stallions or breeding stock- just retired gelding racehorses and cattle.
Secondly living near a person that does buy and ship to places to get them ready for slaughter and he himself now is shipping to Canada from what his ad says ( YES HE ADVERTISES IT). Him nor the brand inspector or truck driver cares about how they get there. They wont change. People like this or that dont care about people or animals in general. He sent out this week a slew horses that had pigeon fever. They are infected some will die and some will be carriers to wherever they go. Its sad but the people that do do it, have no concern about life in general and they refuse to change.

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:03 pm

Yummy horsemeat w/ pigeon fever. Had to comment on that. I know not any better than the meat that's in our stores meat case. Since I've started to recover from my recent illness, eating healthy, and getting away from commercial produced meat, additives and so on mostley going veggie.

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:50 am

That in and of its self goes to a large population of people who are compleatly uncivialized and that money does indeed talk. Depressing

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:22 pm

I think that if they choose to end slaughter, then they need an alternative for the horses. Like euthanizing them and disposing of them properly. Many of the dumps will take horses. Canada brings there trash over here anyways :roll:

If they choose to keep slaughter, then I think it needs to be more humane. We raise cattle, chickens, and pigs for slaughter-basically we farm them. The same needs to be done with horses then. Slaughter should not just be a place for neglected horses, or horses that have had a career prior (such as racing or showing). Horses going to slaughter should be raised specifically for slaughter. Make sense?

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:48 pm

Derby Lyn wrote:I think that if they choose to end slaughter, then they need an alternative for the horses. Like euthanizing them and disposing of them properly. Many of the dumps will take horses. Canada brings there trash over here anyways :roll:

If they choose to keep slaughter, then I think it needs to be more humane. We raise cattle, chickens, and pigs for slaughter-basically we farm them. The same needs to be done with horses then. Slaughter should not just be a place for neglected horses, or horses that have had a career prior (such as racing or showing). Horses going to slaughter should be raised specifically for slaughter. Make sense?

Right on!

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:07 am

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:38 am

"http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/grd/1493064496.html"

That is a scam - those are NOT slaughter prices. He wants $700, $575, $475 - methinks the feedlot owner is playing on folks' sympathies by threatening to send them to slaughter and demanding much inflated prices. From what I hear current slaughter prices are $125-200/horse.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:21 am

I know it seems very high, feedlot trying to make some extra cash before Christmas. They will end up in Canada.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Doesit change anything if I start breeding and raising horses with the soleintent to slaughter and butcher them for meat?/

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:17 pm

some think it does make a difference but the process is still inhumane and not geared toward horses that is the biggest issue that needs to be fixed.

Rachel Alexandra
2yo Maiden

Postby Rachel Alexandra » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:57 am

Trying to get horse slaughter banned in Canada is like trying to get cattle butchering banned in the US. Not going to happen. There is a market in Canada for horse meat therefore you would be very hard pressed to make it disappear. Not to mention the French connection of exporting the meat. If the US had a mainstream market for horse meat, the slaughter plants would still be in operation.

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:09 am

if horse meat is desired by consumers the whole process needs to be fixed. If it were humane it would not be so appaling. I am not even sure if inspectors need to be present during processing for horses like they do for cattle and pigs, if it is to remain a viable industry it must be made to be humane in every step. If we can't stop it we must fix it.