Update from the Technical Support Staff!

General discussions about the technical aspects of the site -- generating reports, reading reports, uploading information, forum techniques, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

Roguelet

Update from the Technical Support Staff!

Postby Roguelet » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:52 am

Here is some information directly from the Technical Support Staff, who have been working very hard to get this site's "issues" dealt with:

They have put a database locking code in place, so it should be more difficult for users to step over each other when they add their horses, make changes, etc. It may take a few extra minutes here or there for an addition or update to complete because of this extra bit of code. It is hopefully a small price to pay for the stability of the data files and thus the pedigree data. :wink:

With all this in place, they were also able to take some time to restore some of the missing data in the additional fields. They restored a few hundred thousand records that were lost during one of the last incidents.

At this point, all the data file update scripts should be protected with locking code (this code only allows one user to write at a time, but unlimited users to read.) In the mean time, we need to let them know if any new problems come up.

Also, they clarified that the "restore ... missing data in the additional fields" addresses the data merge that they did. A lot of that missing data should hopefully now be available. Only horses with missing data were updated. Any with existing data (even just a single bit of data in those extra data fields!) were left alone.
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:45 pm

Here's the latest issue which I've not experienced before:

When entering a new horse's info (in this case, because a dam was automatically created because of her offspring), the sire does not actually "take".

I had a dam automatically created by adding her offspring, then trying to enter her sire (with no dam), that sire does not take. I tried it with a false sire, to ensure it wasn't just that horse, but he didn't take either. So there is a dam with no parents even though she has 1 documented.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:12 pm

That's a new one for me, as well. Hopefully another 'under construction' type issue.

For now, I would recommend adding the sire first, then adding the foal. For some obscure entries, it may mean going back a few generations until you hit horses already in the database, and working your way forward. :)

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Well, I've been adding things all this time, and I have to say I've experienced no changes since my last post. It seems as if it's stagnated again, just in a slightly different (and worse) mode than before.