More on horse slaughter

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

More on horse slaughter

Postby Georgerz » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:14 pm

Here is an article on the horse slaughter situation in Florida:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/28/ill ... ter.farms/

Rachel Alexandra
2yo Maiden

Postby Rachel Alexandra » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:07 pm

95% of those slaughter houses are run by immigrants - non citizens. I can't understand why that guy doesn't take that approach. Mostly illegal immigrants running illegal slaughter houses. How hard can it be to shut it down? It just goes to show how much the government cares. If those slaughter house were run by a US citizen they'd be shut down.

Barbaro06
Grade I Winner

Postby Barbaro06 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:26 pm

I saw that piece and it disgusted me.

I'm not a nativist by any stretch of the imagination, but this is freakin' America and what is being done is against THE LAW.
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:45 am

I watched a bit about this on Animal Planet. Really bad all the animals were filthy and most were very thin, why would anybody want to eat something like that??? Most would be condemed at a legal place. I guess it all comes down to cost, $120 to kill a 100# pig plus $20 to dress it, .71 cents a pound but you'd probabliy get sick eating it!!

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:28 pm

check your math

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:29 am

well that was a ghesstamit, at any rate the meat is unfit for any consumption, dogs or humans. I got the impresion the reason the cops don't go in much is they are afraid of these guys with knives, was nearly spelled out as such in the program.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:15 am

Kezeli

I know a lot of cops and I can pretty much assure you they are not afraid of illegal immigrants that are running illegal slaughter houses.

The problem is law inforcement agencies are grossley under staffed and those in command set prioities and illigal horse slaughter is not one of their priority items; i.e., did you see the post where a woman that just got out of jail for killing her 5 year old was arressted for beating her baby to death??

If you were in command where whould you put law enforcement priorties??

griff

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:16 am

Griff
I agree with what your saying, The guy in the program stated that the cops did not want to go in there. Perhaps they just felt it was a cultural issue and did not want to get involved? Who knows, but I think the USDA is suppose to inforce these issues and no one is addressing this. It is really not just a humane practice issue but also a hygene (sp?) issue, so I think maybe law enforcement is less keen to get involved with illeagles hoping they will erradicate themselves eating tainted meat?? But It sounds like a really touchy issue all around.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:42 pm

" The guy in the program"????

cops have a tough job and I give them the benefit of any doubt. And I don't like it when they get bad rap from from sourses like "the guy in the program".

griff

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:40 am

I didn't mean to give the cops a bad rap and I don't belive the programing did either, just that it seems their hands are tied. The humane assocation people don't have the power. It just seems this issue is falling between the cracks so to speak. That no one agency has jurisdiction.