Ontario Select Sale Nomination

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Ontario Select Sale Nomination

Postby Supernova » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:56 am

I'm wondering if "politics" affects the yearling selection for the select sale here in Ontario. Would I be better off to send my filly to a consigners farm for the selection or would I have just as much chance of getting in on my own private farm?

Thanks

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:21 am

I would always bring the horse to the consignor in a situation like that. As welcoming and hospitable you could be.. they have a repore with people they see each year.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:41 am

Crystal, I think you mean that they have a "rapport"? :)

I have done both in the past. I think it really is very situation-dependent. Typically in KY, select sales prospects are inspected prior to being allowed in the catalog. The sales company isn't "concerned" about who your consignor is - it's all about the horse.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks Madelyn! I appreciate the correction :)

I still think some consignors will have a little bit more of a pull.. That could just be me.

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:17 am

I'm not sure it matters either way, I have done it both ways and always gotten approval. The Ontario sale is not that hard to get into, if you have a decent page they will overlook some conformation flaws. The inspectors were always very professional and can certainly see beyond a less than perfect grooming job in April when the sale is in September.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:42 am

Crystal wrote:Thanks Madelyn! I appreciate the correction :)

I still think some consignors will have a little bit more of a pull.. That could just be me.

I agree with you, Crystal. Although for the sake of OP's question, all my experience has been in KY, so I'm not really sure how it woulf work in Ontario.

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:48 pm

The other question that you might want to ask yourself is, if my horse wouldn't have made it into the select session without connections help then do I really want to sell it there? It costs a lot of money to sell in the select, entry fees, sale prep, x-rays, scope... especially if you have to buy it back at the end of the day. All I'm saying is that if your horse is one of the ones the big money is chasing then you won't need help getting in. On the other hand, if you only just made the cut because your consigner called in a favor your horse could well be overlooked in that sale. If it's a standout in the second session you might be the one generating the excitement and the potential to do better there might be something to consider.

What ever you decide I wish you good luck, it's not an easy game.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:55 pm

Excellent points, Jane. Better to be a big fish in a little pond, in some instances.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:20 pm

If you can afford it ship to Kentucky and have them look at it there. The way our sale is if you're not in the select it isn't even worth running it through the ring. Take it to Fasig Tipton Oct. instead. If you are in the Niagara region like we are you could have one of the last Mr. Prospectors out of a G1 mare and they would still find something wrong with it.

We have been told year after year that horses must have a 3 (out of 5) or higher in both pedigree and conformation to make the select, to see horses I wouldn't score over a 1 in there every year.

I will stop myself before I get too worked up.

"Politics"??? Nah, not here in Ontario.
too weird to live...too rare to die
www.ascotstudfarm.com

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:43 pm

We are a very small breeder, I am an absolute nobody, and we always have ours inspected at our own farm.. I have always found them to be terrific and fair. I liked Mark Maronde a lot but he has moved on to a new job at Keeneland so we won't see him now :( You'd be more than fine having your yearlings inspected at home. Best of Luck!
Horse Radish

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Ascot, I was thinking about your comments.. It is my own feeling that Ryan Mahan, John Donaldson & Mark Maronde are above reproach. I feel they do a good job & are fantastic choices to grade Conformation.
Horse Radish

NORTHSTAR1
Yearling

Postby NORTHSTAR1 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:13 pm

the ontario sales may be in for some -improvement now that adena has moved so many studs to ontario..

as it is now ---there are as many blue pages as white pages -----there are as many "select" individuals as "commoners" ?????

i think not.-----prices paid verify that ---so it is grossly unfair to the second day sale offerings -no buyers--psychological thing and lack of critical thinking

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:09 pm

Ascot, I was thinking about your comments.. It is my own feeling that Ryan Mahan, John Donaldson & Mark Maronde are above reproach. I feel they do a good job & are fantastic choices to grade Conformation.

All I'm saying is that if you ship it to KY, the horse will probably be select. I see about 15-20 a year that are 1 or 2's at best on conformation that make the select. If there's a way to get it in they know how. I had a filly with a 3+ on pedigree 2 years ago that was told by a consignor that should be in for sure on conformation get a 2, she got a cut a week before the inspection and the Keeneland boys thought it was worthy of a 3 point deduction (it cleared up and looked fine after 3 weeks). The cut was the only flaw noted on their report. When you see this kind of thing happen to you year after year you start to lose confidence in the inspectors/

www.ascotstudfarm.com

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:15 pm

Some of the pedigree's that make the Select are laughable at best too. They should have 100 true Select Canadian breds (no favors) the first day and throw the rest of them in to let the buyers decide. But that would make quite a few people sweat a little too much.

www.ascotstudfarm.com

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:30 am

I must say that I have been shocked at some of the horses that have made it into the select division of the sale.

It has always been my belief that in a true select sale you should only need concern yourself with finding the catalog pages you like since you'd be virtually guarenteed that the conformation of these 'select' individuals would be far above average in all cases... that has not proven to be the case in my experience.