chain over nose

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

onalimb
Allowance Winner

chain over nose

Postby onalimb » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:11 pm

My yearling colt has been feeling his oats sort of, this last week he has been a little frisky in the morning when I lead him out of the barn into his run. He has been tossing his head wanting to rear up etc. he is not trying to be mean just frisky. I was wondering if I should run the chain over his nose and nip it in the butt right now like I said he is not being mean but he is a big boy for a yearling and I don't want to get smacked by his big tossing head.. ps his balls have not droped yet.
onalimb

BenB
Sophomore Sire

chain over

Postby BenB » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:33 pm

I would take a rope over his nose, and not a chain, there are a couple a reasons for it. Just tie the rope under the halter over the nose, and through the same point to your hand. You,ve got to learn him that he keeps his head down, before your face get all kind of colours of hitting his head against yours. With the joint in your arm, keeping that against his shoulder, it should be possible to create a small distance between you, and him. So keep him aside from you, not in front of you.
How is he gowing anyway???

Ben

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:37 pm

I agree with Ben, a soft leadrope through, around the nose and fastened under to give you control of his head... a shank teaches them to be bad sometimes, not to mention can mark/damage their soft bones... one of my stallions gets all agressive if he sees a shank but is a total lamb on a soft lead rope...I try to walk beside/just in front of the shoulder with my right arm extended and hand firmly on the neck or shoulder, lead in the left hand keeping the head turned just a bit to me, to teach them to watch the handler, not run into me, step on me, etc....
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

onalimb
Allowance Winner

Postby onalimb » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:31 pm

Thanks ben and madelynn I thought a shank might be alittle much yet. (To answer ben) he is getting bigger every day seems to be getting around fine. He does not move realy any different then my 2 year old. When he first arived a month or so ago I did notice when he ran he did bring his rear legs up together allitle but I have not seen him do it the last few weeks. This morning I let him out in a diffrent run and he was all excited he cantered, bucked, reared, and shook his head like he was the king and feeling fine so his stifles dont seem to bother him right now. thanks
onalimb