Sunshine Forever mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Sunshine Forever mare

Postby drewsbadboy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:29 pm

I have a mare by Sunshine Forever that is out of a Halo mare. Can anyone suggest a good Illinois stallion that may do well with her family? Thanks! :)

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:26 am

Fort Prado should suit. A with TrueNicks based on El Prado and his sons with mares by Roberto and his sons. Kitten's Joy, Asi Siempre, Senor Swinger, etc. Fort Prado also Mr Prospector which should work well with the strains of Roberto and Halo in your mare.
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby drewsbadboy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks so much! I do really like Fort Prado; I'm just not too sure because he's a new stallion. Might be worth the risk though. What do you think about Roanoke?

smeehan
2yo Maiden

Postby smeehan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Just wondering if you are breeding specifically for the "Illinois conceived and foaled" part of the Illinois breeding program or if you are open to "Illinois foaled" as well?

As Illinois breeders on a small scale for the past 15 years, we've taken both approaches. For us, we found more value in breeding to a Kentucky stallion and dropping in Illinois rather than breeding to the limited choices available in state. I do like Fort Prado, though. He's the best thing to come around here in quite some time!

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby drewsbadboy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Well, no, not necessarily. Just trying to keep my options open. We just bred our first mare* in 2008 and she had a nice 2009 colt by Swain. I didn't mind at all taking her to Kentucky for him. In fact, we actually drove her there, had her covered and put her back in the trailer and took her home...lol. Do you find that it makes a difference if your horse is "Illinois conceived and foaled" vs. "Illinois foaled"? I do agree the options are much better in Kentucky. Seems like all the stallions I like there have either moved or are pensioned so I'm not sure who's in Kentucky that I really like anymore. Soundness is a huge deal to me...I want a horse that's run for several years and I like the European type of horses.

*this isn't the Sunshine Forever mare

smeehan
2yo Maiden

Postby smeehan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:27 pm

Open options are always good! :)

As far as the difference between ICF vs IF, we found the quality we gained by breeding in Ky outweighed the potential breeders and owners bonus if the horse had been ICF. It was tough to find an Illinois stallion that consistently threw horses that could compete in open company races. And once you run through your state-bred conditions, that's all you've got. Our IF horses have been competitive in open races and the bonus is still worthwhile even if it's not as much as ICF.

I am with you on the soundness part! We've bred to such stallions as Rubiano, Cryptoclearance and Accelerator, each of whom had a good number of starts, to encourage soundness in our program. The resulting foals from these matings and others have made over 150 combined starts, so you can see why I'm a big fan!

Best of luck to you!

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:19 am

If you are going to Kentucky--Slew City Slew. He gets runners, he gets winners, and this mare has two winners by Slewacide, so the Slew cross worked okay.

I like Radiant Angel with Private Lap (Private Terms - Just like Jill, by Dynaformer) in Indiana.

For starters, her 2nd dam produced the dam of Soul of the Matter, by Private Terms. Her third dam produced the dam of Afternoon Deelites, also by Private Terms. They were PT's two best horses by far and away, both millionaires, so trying that cross can't hurt at all. It's also worth noting that the dam of Soul of the Matter has a similar Alibhai/Boudoir cross via TV Commercial to Sunshine Forever's Graustark (out of an Alibhai mare whose 2nd dam was Boudoir).

On the dam side, Sunshine Forever is by Roberto out of a Graustark daughter of the blue hen mare Golden Trail. Dynaformer is by Roberto out of a His Majesty granddaughter of Golden Trail. The mating puts the genetic siblings 3s x 2d (4x3 Roberto, 5x4 Graustark/His Majesty, 6x4 Golden Trail). There's also a ton of the Mumtaz Mahal family from just about every possible source (at least 13 duplications).

Roguelet owns this horse, and she is offering a very nice incentive package of 10% of the foal's Indiana stallion awards. A Private Lap foal may be eligible for Indiana sired and Illinois foaled breeding awards. And if you are looking for soundness, this horse ran 48 times for over $700k.

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby drewsbadboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:42 am

Thanks guys! Sounds like great advice :)

Smeehan - I love Cryptoclearance, I bet that was a nice baby; just out of curiosity, what was the Rubiano baby's temperment like? I've heard stories about Rubiano being not so nice, but wow he was a beautiful horse. That's another thing I'm worried about is temperment...It's so hard to find just the right guy! :)

Kimberley - I like Slew City Slew too and the Private Terms stallion sounds nice. So a foal by an Indiana stallion, but foaled in Illinois may be elligible for both states breeders awards? That would be good since I'll be breeding to race. :)

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:25 am

drewsbadboy wrote:Kimberley - I like Slew City Slew too and the Private Terms stallion sounds nice. So a foal by an Indiana stallion, but foaled in Illinois may be elligible for both states breeders awards? That would be good since I'll be breeding to race. :)

To be eligible for Indiana breeders awards, the foal would have to be an Indiana-bred, which means foaled in Indiana (along with a few other requirements.) With Private Lap, the foal would also be Indiana sired in that case. If you decide you'd like to branch out into the Indiana program I can direct you to more information about it.

I'm not familiar with the Illinois program, but it sounds like you can breed out of state and still have your foal qualify, right? We would get no stallion awards in that case so there would be no award-sharing part of our Stallion Stimulus Program, but if you want any more info. on Private Lap, just give me a shout. And thanks, Kimberley, for your kind words about our guy! :D
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

smeehan
2yo Maiden

Postby smeehan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:20 pm

drewsbadboy: Our Rubiano filly was a complete doll to work around, but she was really opinionated when it came to racing. She ran up front and would fight to get there, but the jock could only use the whip a few times in the stretch or she would put on the brakes. When she decided she was done in a race, there was nothing that could change her mind. Maybe that was the hot Rubiano coming through! She was also an excellent mom to her first baby.

Roguelet: Illinois used to have a program that awarded stallion owners, but it was done away with several years ago. It's sad for the farms and it sure didn't help to attract any quality stallions here. The money was instead funneled to other aspects of the Illinois program.

The state has a pretty open policy. You can breed outside the state and drop in Illinois as long as the mare is in state by a certain date prior to foaling. There is no state-bred breed back requirement in that case.