Regumate

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

griff
Leading Sire

Regumate

Postby griff » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:06 am

On average, how long will it take for a mare tp ovulate after stopping a 15 day course of Regumate??

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:50 am

I think our vet stuck a arm in at 20 or 21 days.. I could be wrong.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:06 pm

20 to 21 days after you stopped the Regumate??

I was hoping stopping the Regumate would have resulted in something like a foal heat in 6 or 7 days.

griff

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby drewsbadboy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:55 pm

I think our vet had us give our mare ludalytes shortly after stopping the regumate. After that she came "in" 5 days later, was covered 4 days after that and given HCG and she ovulated the next day. We started her back on Regumate a few days after ovulation.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks

I did not know about the Ludaltes but find I can purchase 30 cc or ml for $23.00.

griff

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:35 am

I really think you are talking about "lutalyse". I believe that care should be taken with "looting" a mare - it can cause quite profound physical effects, including colic, along with multiple ovulations (resulting in twinning), immature ovulation (if fertilized, results in resorbing), etc. I have seen mares who were looted go through absolute hell, all to gain about 5 days in the ovulation cycle. I won't loot mares I own, but if a client wants a mare looted we have her on steady watch for 12-15 hours after the sweating begins until the symptoms subside.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:36 am

Drewsbadboy

Did I understand you correctly that you covered the mare and THEN administered the HCG??

griff

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:37 am

griff, that is what I do - cover the mare and give the HCG after the cover...

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby drewsbadboy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 am

Yes. Actually our vet did. The ludalyse and all that was per instructions of our vet. We followed instructions and when he came to ultrasound our mare after she had been covered, she had not ovulated so he administered HCG at that point. She was kind of a different situation...if you look on the thread about uterine cysts I kind of explain our mares situation. This was the first time we have ever had a mare bred, so everything was done according to what our vet instructed. What was crazy was that she was 20 yrs old, had been barren for 4 yrs despite her previous owner having her covered by two different stallions (in one season multiple times) and she has uterine cysts. Amazingly she got in foal on one cover thanks to this vet. It was crazy because we live in Illinois and drove her to Kentucky on the day she was to be covered and then put her back in the trailer and brought her home the same day. Quite an experience! :D

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby drewsbadboy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:55 am

And just to clarify on the ludalyse - this was ONLY done because our vet felt that it was the best way to proceed in our mare's case. Also - she was never left unattended after receiving the injection early in the morning until late that afternoon and was on camera for the entire night to watch her just to be safe.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:16 am

Makes sense, she's older, sperm live up to 72 hrs (in humans and egg~ 12hrs). So in this case the sperm had already done their travelling and when the egg was released it was surrounded and conception took place. Science and luck together :)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:21 am

drewsbadboy wrote:And just to clarify on the ludalyse - this was ONLY done because our vet felt that it was the best way to proceed in our mare's case. Also - she was never left unattended after receiving the injection early in the morning until late that afternoon and was on camera for the entire night to watch her just to be safe.

This is a case of a "good" use of lutalyse, and proper care of the mare while it is giving her those really hard cramps.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:33 pm

I have two barren mares that I want to make sure we get in foal:

[1] One is an 11 year old named Legitimada that has never been bred and I don't expect trouble, I'd just like to make sure she concieves when bred this early.. Legitimada has been on Regumate for about a week and under lights for the same period.. I know ligthts need a longer time frame to work but firgured they would not hurt. We plan to stop the Regumate around 02/15. My concern is that the 15 plus days of Regumate alone might not cause her to come into heat and that is why I'm considering the use of Lutalyse.. And I just read a study done by NC State that says both 1/4 cc and 1/2 cc of Lutalyse is just as effective as the normal 2 cc dose of Lutalyse with less side effects.

[2] The second mare is Hot Concern and did not concieve on her foal heat cover or the next cover last year in spite of being administered SETTLE before both covers.. She did deliver a late Gunnerside colt last year but settled on that one only after we switched stallion which may have been her problem. In any case we kept her on Regumate untill she was 90 days in foal...

I will start Hot Concern on Regumate around 02/15 and was planning to use lutalyse on this one and then give her HCG. I don't care about saving 5 days, I just want to get this mare back in foal to Gunnerside as her 2009 Gunnerside is the best looking foal I have ever produced.

Any suggestins you have to offer will be greatly appreciated.

griff

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:39 pm

By the way, I can buy 30 cc of Lutalyse for $23.00 which treat around 60 mares at 1/2 cc per dose.

I can also buy HCG (Chorionic) for $23.00 a dose.. I don't know what the (Chorionic) means yet but will find out..

Thanks

griff

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:43 pm

Griff your post reads like you are doing all this without the aid of a vet?