Maiden broodmare not baggin up

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Maiden broodmare not baggin up

Postby Skipitgirl » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:46 pm

Okay Im stumped. My maiden mare is 330 days today and has NO sign of starting to bag up. Im used to my broodmares starting to bag about 4 weeks out but this mare is still tucked up there. No swelling noted at all. Is this normal or something I should be concerned about? As you can guess, she is my first maiden mare. Ive heard fescue poisioning can cause the mare to not bag and carry a long time. Any ideas?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:51 pm

My mare, not maiden, didn't really bag up until a week before, and ran 362 days....

Each horse is an individual, just because there is nothing external doesn't necessarily mean nothing is going on..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

suzyd
2yo Maiden

Postby suzyd » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:17 pm

One of my maiden mares past her breeding date last tuesday. Is now 1 year and 5 days pregnant. Her pasture mate, also a maiden, foaled this a.m., at 339 days. both ate the same diet. We are hoping that we get the second delivery tonight ! The new foal is a filly, sired by Cascadian. she is beautiful and quite large and very healthy.

Karie
Grade III Winner

Postby Karie » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:31 pm

ok, my mare (a maiden) was not bagged up at all and showed no signs of going into labor until an hour before she foaled.

i just happed to look under her and noticed she was dripping milk..
She never bagged up much at all and never waxed a drop.....

She has a larger bag now, but its still not that big.

and she was 3 days early

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:31 pm

I've got the opposite problem. My maiden got to Kentucky and bagged up 4 days after getting there which wouldn't have been a big problem except she was more than 6 weeks out.

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

mares

Postby mini's mom » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:35 am

you people have to understand that mares do as they please and some can read the foaling book and some are functionally illerate - when one of my mares foaled (the older one) she had a huge bag, dripped milk for a week and because of her age I watched her very carefully- whenshe was going to foal she announced to the entire world that her baby was on its way - she read the book - on the other hand one of the others did not read at all - had no milk dripping - no bag and foaled when she wanted to in the middle of the night and would nto have it unless she was alone - she would not let anyone near the foal - no one - the key is thebook and being ableto read it!!!!!!

onalimb
Allowance Winner

Postby onalimb » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:46 am

I have a maiden mare who needs that book also (10 days over ) or maybe she needs the movie version since she is not big on reading.
onalimb

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:16 pm

onalimb wrote:I have a maiden mare who needs that book also (10 days over ) or maybe she needs the movie version since she is not big on reading.

Audio books! Makes for better multi-tasking :lol: :lol: :lol: