halters

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

onalimb
Allowance Winner

halters

Postby onalimb » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:53 am

Was wondering .... everyones personal prefence on horses wearing there halters all the time or only when being moved from area to area on there own farm. and why?? ( I"ve seen both) and neck straps??? Is it more to do with training or buying dozens and dozens of halters .. ha ha ..
onalimb

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:25 pm

I only have halters on mine when they are being led, groomed, etc., not in the pasture and not in stalls (even my stallions), mainly because if they get hung up they will either get hurt or break/lose the halter. But each horse has its own personal halter.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:49 pm

hi onalimb ... hi madelyn

You may have your preferences as to when or when not to have your horses wearing halters...that's fine...

...but when using a halter I recommend always using a leather one...NEVER a nylon halter.

If a horse gets "hung-up" they can usually break the leather halter...better a broken leather halter than a broken neck because they couldn't break the nylon halter.

Respectfully

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:01 pm

yes, FOS, or the nylon with a leather crownpiece. Except when we are using the halter to teach a baby to be tied up, then we use a shipping halter.

Regal Pleasure
2yo Maiden

Postby Regal Pleasure » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:37 am

FOS wrote:hi onalimb ... hi madelyn

If a horse gets "hung-up" they can usually break the leather halter

Unforntuately "usually" is the key word. Even leather halters or those with leather crown peices don't always break.

None of my horses ever wear a halter unless I am working with them. And no horse is allowed to be left unattended with ANY halter on at my place.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:59 am

hi madelyn ... hi Regal Pleasure

Regal Pleasure you wrote "Unfortunately "usually" is the key word. Even leather halters or those with leather crown peices don't always break."

There are rarely certainties Regal Pleasure...it's "usually" about possibilities and probabilities.

In the case of nylon halters I suggest there is a high probability of a "bad" ending in cases of "hung up" horses wearing nylon halters...although it is possible that there could be a "bad" ending even with a full-leather halter.

I'll live with the possibility that a full-leather halter may not break...but will not accept the probability that a nylon halter will rarely (if ever) break...All Things Considered.

madelyn...you wrote "yes, FOS, or the nylon with a leather crownpiece. Except when we are using the halter to teach a baby to be tied up, then we use a shipping halter."

madelyn...what do you use as "a shipping halter" ?

And regarding a leather crownpiece on a nylon halter...respectfully...a leather crownpiece may not be enough to provide a "high percentage" (and relatively quick) safe way out for a horse...when that horse is "hung up."

As you know a horse may find itself "hung up" in a precarious...and/or distorted position etc...sometimes frenzied and pulling (or having pulled) with all it's strength (sometimes to a point of exhaustion). The end-result can sometimes be devastating and/or tragic etc if the halter does not break. I suggest that a nylon halter sadly minimizes the chances of a break-away.

I respectfully suggest that to assume that a leather crownpiece will break (and offer the comfort of freedom and immediately put a stop to the frenzy which often accompanies the horse that's "hung up") may be too much to expect or hope for. I suggest that there are too many horror stories (many with very bad endings) resulting from the use of nylon halters...even nylon halters with leather crowns.

It's important (to my way of thinking) that if a horse is "hung up" (sometimes to the extent that they are in a frenzy...a precarious position etc) that the halter must snap somewhere (crown...muzzle...cheeks etc) anywhere (and hopefully before damage to the horse has been done) when they use their enormous strength to pull away from the "hang up."

If the halter doesn't "snap" somewhere (and relatively quickly) when that enormous strength is being unharnessed (often in a frenzy)...the chances for a happy ending may diminish...sometimes quickly and dramatically.

Nylon halters...to my way of thinking...are all-too-often directly responsible for (or at the very least directly related to) some horrific and/or tragic incidents related to horses. Incidents that might not have had "horror-story" endings if 100% leather halters were in use vs the nylon halters.

I guess I am simply suggesting that nylon halters have (all-too-often) proven harmful to the health of our horses.

Best to you.

Respectfully

onalimb
Allowance Winner

Postby onalimb » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:46 am

Hi What about neck straps ? They do make it easier putting halters on and off those excited young ones.
onalimb

Regal Pleasure
2yo Maiden

Postby Regal Pleasure » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:04 pm

FOS wrote:hi madelyn ... hi Regal Pleasure

I guess I am simply suggesting that nylon halters have (all-too-often) proven harmful to the health of our horses.

Best to you.

Respectfully

I agree 1000%. I have witnessed first hand what can happen when even the most calm, laid back, older horse gets a halter(nylon) hung up. Unfortnuately the one I witnessed was a 20yo in foal mare. And the mare had to be put down due to a broken hind leg. What is also unfortunate is that the owners didn't learn anything and STILL turn horses out with nylon halters on. :twisted: :evil:

The way I see it is that horses are bacisally suicidal. And I refuse to give them any ammunition. (By leaving ANY halter on.)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:03 pm

madelyn wrote:I only have halters on mine when they are being led, groomed, etc., not in the pasture and not in stalls (even my stallions), mainly because if they get hung up they will either get hurt or break/lose the halter. But each horse has its own personal halter.

I SAID I only have halters on when they are being worked with. Horses being worked with don't have much chance of getting hung up. I don't leave halters on horses in stalls or turned out. Not Ever. Period. Not Nylon, Not Leather, Not Ribbon, Not Fairydust.

Regarding breaking youngsters to lead/tie. A shipping halter (a very common thing) is a loose, highly adjustable "rope" style halter made of very thick (and somewhat soft) polypropylene rope. It is easy to slip over a bridle, etc. So called because shippers commonly carry them. They are unbreakable (that said, we had a 2yo break one last week). When someone drops off a wildass, unruly, bad, unbroke 950 lb monster here, we have to teach the sumbuck to lead/ride. We spend lots of time getting the horse to be haltered, saddled, bridled, etc. They can then be tied up to the wall in the arena to get used to standing while other horses are being worked with. They are under direct supervision. If a colt decides to pick a fight with a halter and a wall, well it is better than picking a fight with me. The 2yo that broke the shipping halter was so bad he would pull back, rear, strike and lunge toward you, trying his damnedest to get you with those front feet if you tried to lead him. Like an attack horse, if there is such thing. We had to blindfold him and throw him in the horse trailer. He is now broke to lead and ride. Took two weeks. He didn't get hurt and neither did anyone else. And after four days spending time on the wall, he did not buck one time, and has already been on a trail up and down the mountain. The wall took a beating, though.

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:32 pm

Mine (broodmares) wear leather halters and neckstraps at all times. I'm comfortable with that as a leather halter will almost always break if pressured. I had a Joey Bob mare that proved that fact several times while in race training. Fortunately you could clip her drop tied.

Tucumcari
Chef de Race: Brilliant

Postby Tucumcari » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:59 am

onalimb wrote:Hi What about neck straps ? They do make it easier putting halters on and off those excited young ones.

The neck straps I have used on breeding farms are used on mares and they all have brass nameplates on them... It's a way of identifying the mares...
I don't know why a halter with a name plate wouldn't do, but that's what we did...