URGENT - ALL HAIL STORMY

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

URGENT - ALL HAIL STORMY

Postby mightyhijames » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:40 pm

All Hail Stormy was taken from the beulah backstretch on january 23rd, supposedly purchased as therapeutic riding horse by a center in michigan. he is a 16h dark bay 9yr old gelding. 2 back ankle socks with black spots on the coronet bands. Some minor osselots and looks a bit over at the knee. At any rate, this guy has a place to go and money to secure him and ship him so if anyone at all comes across him, let me know. thanks.
Last edited by mightyhijames on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bluemoon
Yearling

Beulah horse

Postby bluemoon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:13 am

I hate to tell you this, but I heard that two horses left Beulah Saturday and were sent to slaughter. Someone there took down their tatoos and notified Buelah Park that horses had been sent there for slaughter from the track. The trainer or trainers were called in to the office. I don't know who they were or who the horses were, but chances are good it was him.
I am so sorry. Especially since I know you tried to get this horse before from the trainer.
I can find out the name of the trainers possibly.
It made me ill when I heard it. I would not be there if it were not for getting some babies trained. It is like a giant meat market, and the abuse by some of the people there of the horses is unacceptable to me.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Re: Beulah horse

Postby mightyhijames » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:17 am

bluemoon wrote:I hate to tell you this, but I heard that two horses left Beulah Saturday and were sent to slaughter. Someone there took down their tatoos and notified Buelah Park that horses had been sent there for slaughter from the track. The trainer or trainers were called in to the office. I don't know who they were or who the horses were, but chances are good it was him.
I am so sorry. Especially since I know you tried to get this horse before from the trainer.
I can find out the name of the trainers possibly.
It made me ill when I heard it. I would not be there if it were not for getting some babies trained. It is like a giant meat market, and the abuse by some of the people there of the horses is unacceptable to me.

if you can PM me w/the names of the trainers and the tattoo #s (if you can get them), i would really appreciate it.

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:11 pm

That therapeutic riding horse thing is the new scam. I have heard that from most of the last few horses that disappeared. Never believe that unless you've driven to the facility yourself. Who would purchase a recent racehorse for a handicapped child to ride?
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:04 pm

WTF? Im sorry but after everything this is what he gets? With people who WOULD HAVE PICKED HIM UP IN AN HOUR sitting right here! AND OFFERED!!!!!! I hope the flipping $100 or so you got was worth it you POS!

Im sorry but DAMN, if he shipped he deserved WAY better than that! Im angry...... :evil:

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

i have been told that AHS was NOT one of the horses referenced previously and that both were pulled from sugar creek. however, he was sold, i'm just trying to find out to who. i do not have any evidence that he has gone to a kill pen nor did i mean to imply the same. i just find the theraputic riding center suspect.

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:48 pm

Please pm me with the trainers name. I am in MI and located near the feedlot, also we have a theraputic riding center that I could check out. I am familiar with a few MI trainers that run at buelah that ship horses to slaughter.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:13 pm

my girls were at Penn and Beulah last week for a few days trying to buy decent sound horses to bring back here and re-train for resell.they were treated like shit,offered cripples for thousands and even told that us canadians wer buying for meat and that the meat price was very high.Let me tell you something:paperwork to bring a horse back here is $30. coggin-$55. for the vet to fill health certificate for each horse and another $55. to the usda for countersigning,plus we pay GST at the border on a minimum $500 per head...now the meat companies need no coggins,$55. on first health certificate and $6.50 for all the others no GST...And we pay fuel,motels,meals,board on horses in the meantime,keep and train them for months before we can re-sell them and get an average of 2 horses per 7 horses load that were injected,misrepresented and simply unusables,we have our vet put down 6 horses last year and one already since january at the cost of $120.each plus $75. to get the body picked up,i have 2 of last year still in my barn,nobody wants them if unsound so,one we had arthroscopy at Saratoga and one had pneumonia and is in need of throat surgery,they did their best for their owners and none of this is their fault.We tried to buy horses from Adamo(at Penn),Gill trainer,he told us he did not know prices and could not help us but next day sent two loads of loose horses to the meat man.Don't tell me trainers respect horses they only think $$$,when a horse cannot even run decently at the bottom why advertise him for huge amounts on canter or worst for small amount and then when someone gets there ask triple the price...or pretend the horse is okay and when he gets to his new home he cribs,weave,stallwalk or is so lame when the bute wears off...why put this horse in more trouble and discourage people from buying them till there is no way out for them?We will not buy from those tracks anymore...too bad for the horses we can't afford to be taken for rides by trainers that cannot even feed or trim/shoe their horses.Have you walk that Beulah backstrech and look at the sorry state of these horses?Some are litterally starving,some take months to get back to be horses again when they get home.I had race horses all my life,and never had one break down on me on the track and never sent any of my teammates(this is what i call my racehorses)to the killers,either they find a home/stay with me till they find one or get put down humanely.Horses are social animals,part of a herd or team,they do their best,don't look for trouble,they only want to live in peace and for their herd boss to be happy with them...I am very much ashamed to be a human and a horse trainer most of the time....
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Sylvie,
I agree 100% with you. I am not sure if you are East, West, or inbetween Canada? I am in BC, and work part-time at Hastings. Have access to off-track TBs. Myself and the trainer I work for are honest about their problems (if any).
I have a gelding that I worked with, he was given to me, he's a lovely horse.
If you are ever looking, you should PM me. We usually start giving up on a few of them from June to the end of the season (October).
Just a thought.

NorthStar
Allowance Winner

Postby NorthStar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:10 pm

mightyhijames wrote:i have been told that AHS was NOT one of the horses referenced previously and that both were pulled from sugar creek. however, he was sold, i'm just trying to find out to who. i do not have any evidence that he has gone to a kill pen nor did i mean to imply the same. i just find the theraputic riding center suspect.

I'm just seeing this...have you posted an ad in Craigslist, Equinenow, Dreamhorse and Horsetopia to name a few? Include picture if you can. Offer reward if you can. Best of luck to you.

I just tried to help rescue a 20 y/o mare that slipped through the cracks, with a rescue standing right there and her former owners willing to take her back. She either went to Charros or slaughter, but I'm still hopeful and have people watching the "auctions".

Also...send a fax to the auctions and tell them he is NOT to go to slaughter. Give JC description and tattoo and picture if you can. Call them too.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:30 am

If you have a facebook account there is a lot of great networking going on to help sponser/rescue/transport/rehome a slew of auction horses. NetPosse, AC4H, and a lot of great groups do their best to get photos, information, donations etc.

I'm keeping an eye out for a filly I bred in the North East area and kind of have a "slush" fund in case I ever did run into her thorough these groups at a feedlot or auction house.

but definetly check it out.